Forums are back in action! ×

Hi NerdFitness community!

My name is Nardi and I am 18 years old. I live in Croatia.

I have become interested in NerdFitness after a post on 9gag and I decided to join the community and become fit for the first time in my life.I used to be overweight ALL of my life until recently actually. Here's a picture(it's an older(when I was 15) and a not very good one, but it's easily appliable because I was always overweight like that) of how I looked just under a year ago:

post-24594-0-94321400-1385735002_thumb.j

If I had known this site, the process to getting from around 104 kg(228.8 lbs) to 80 kg(176 lbs)(note - I am 1.84 m(around 6.1 feet) tall) would have been much easier. I know, I'm not a terribly bad case, but still, it would have been easier. I would have done it some much better and so much sooner. I look much better now(I can't upload a picture because my mobile's camera sucks), but I still have fat hips. Ugh.

The only actual thing I've got done to lose that weight was to more or less gradually decrease my food intake. No strict diet change, nothing like that. Though I've started eating a bit better I feel, mostly cutting out bread from my diet and all that stuff like chips and such.

But I feel it's not enough. I'm actually quite strong, except that I can only rarely use that strength. I mean, kicking a football(not american football, but proper football) is all well and good, but sometimes I could kick it with so much power I could easily break somebody's bones or whatever you can imagine. Sometimes I can really strike with power with my fists. But rarely. I get easily tired. I might be able to run a 5 km without stopping, but for about 4.2 km I'd barely be able to run. My muscles are WEAK as hell. I might look like I have some, but it's like they're not there.

I know this is an introductionary thread, but I really don't want to open three threads asking the same questions I'd like to ask, just categorized depending on where the thread for those questions would be. For e.g. I don't want to open in a separate sub-forum a thread about diet and a thread for my workout in another. If I get general directions for some things here, I'll be able to manage them by myself because I learnt how to do that during my weight loss.

And the last thing before the actuall questions is that I'm poor. I have almost no income, and the small amount I'll soon start getting isn't enough for me to change everything I can by myself and buy the stuff I need single-handedly. Also, remember that here(especially here, in a smaller town called Sinj) we have a really close-knit, but a really conservative community(I mean neighbours, friends and family, though my family is a bit better), which means that making everyone adapt to my lifestyle and choices are just a no-no. With also being atheist and really liberal(there is going to be a big referendum in Croatia about gay rights in our Constitution and I'm the only one of my male friends who's going to vote in favour of those rights) it's really tough having to keep it for yourself and that's why I want to talk with all of you.

What I want to ask about my workout is - how the hell am I supposed to substitute the exerices with dumbbells and the ones that would be easier to do with an exercise ball? As I wrote before, I have no money to buy a set of adjustible dumbbells(or ordinary for the matter) nor do I have the money for a gym subscription. **(I mean, I at home I still wear T-shirts and and jackets which are mostly around 5 years old, and the more formal things I wear I usually buy before school starts and I wear them for that school year, buying nothing(unless absolutely necessary) else for the whole year. I don't need a girl's wardrobe, but still, it'd be nice not to have to wear the same clothes for five years at home)** Any exercises that can substitute them enough or is there some thing I could make to substitute them?

For my diet - with almost no money, it's difficult to change it. However I can change a rather large part of it. As I said, I already mostly cut out bread and other grains from my diet. I have resolved for lunch to have what is available in the kitchen, but eat it moderately or even less. Our family hasn't had a very good diet at any time of my life as far as I remember and I can't really change it for them. I am already called a nutcase here by my mother for everything I've done to lose weight and improve my diet so far. Anyway, I can claim breakfast and dinner for my own and ,with a lot of adjustment, I could make them as healthy as possible. Steve suggests egg(s) and oatmeal for breakfast, which I can do easily, though I'd need a decent and cheap recipe for an oatmeal with nuts. But the main thing is dinner - I don't know what to do with it. I need a few recipes which are primarily cheap, then easy to make and they'd need to be high on protein because of the workout I'll be doing beforehand. Like oatmeal is for breakfast.

Hope this wall of text won't be too much of a burden for you all and I'm glad to be writing this!

P.S. I didn't really show my nerdy side there. OK. My ambition is to become a video game developer. I already know some basics and will continue to learn a lot more, I have a fantastic imagination and sometimes equally good writing. I hope I'll be doing great games in the future!

Welcome to the rebellion dude....you got this baby steps you will get there.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2