Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everybody!

I'm new to Nerd Fitness, and it looks really neat! I have been thinking about working out and getting into better shape for some time, but have finally decide to actually do it (again...)!

So I've had a problem finding a reason to train, or eat better, until now. Spartan race this past summer frankly kicked my ass, and I want to do the same to it next year. However, I'm 25, I've spent little time in the weight room since high school, and have eaten more fast food than anything else the past few years. Needless to say, I'm starting out pretty fresh to the fitness scene.

I little about me:

• I'm 25, and am in college pursuing a doctorate in pharmacy
  • I'm 6'1"
  • I weigh 170lbs, but I'm pretty weak (my bench and squat are both at about 100lbs right now)
  • I'm fairly slender, with my stomach being kind of big (small beer gut?)
  • Can't cook well (or at all if you asked some people that know me)
  • I like soda but I've switched to a small amount of juice and green tea.

My goal is by May to hopefully go from the 15% body fat I am right now down to around 10%, and gain some muscle so I don't look like a string bean with a beer gut. I would like to be able to still drink once a week or so if it is possible, as my metabolism isn't super slow or anything (I've been eating fast food and am not obese!). If there are any suggestions anyone has for me to start out, that would be great! I have access to the gym at my university which has free weights, dumbells, and machines (yuck).

Thanks!