Forums are back in action! ×

Emerging From The Shadows.....

So I've been lurking in the shadows on this site for a few months now - watching over it all but not joining in (creepy I know!), but today's the day I take the plunge!  Although now I'm here I don't quite know what to say!

Well....I'm basically a 28 year old hobbit (only 5 foot, but there's still chance I'll grow right?  Right?!) and after years of suffering massive self esteem issues I looked in the mirror one day and realised something needed to be done.  I'd been trying to make too many changes (with everything - job, home life, health, relationships, etc) which meant nothing was changing at all.  I wasn't massively overweight but I just didn't like myself very much (or at all really).  Fast forward 12 months and I'm 18lbs lighter, feeling much more comfortable and have become one of those people who actually enjoy exercise!   (Who knew I'd actually come to quite like the feel of achy muscles instead of dreading it!)   I started a weights class, made exercise more of a priority and hey, I even hiked up a mountain this year!  (Not quite Mount Doom but still, a mountain!!  An actual mountain!!)

Sounds great right?!  The only trouble is, I'm doing this alone and it's a struggle some times.  My family and friends have no interest in health/fitness and what I really need (and I'm hoping you guys can help) is some inspiration.

According to my Wii fit (not the most accurate of things I'll admit!) my ideal weight is 8 stone but I'm ignoring that!  I've got no desire to be 8 stone (I'd look more like a child than I already do!) and no desire to drop any more dress sizes.

You'd think that by reaching a size where I'm comfortable everything would be fine but I had a bit of a freak out recently.  It's the damn mirror's fault again!  I looked in the mirror and realised I no longer looked like myself.  My chubby cheeks had gone (I have cheekbones!  Who knew?!!) and I realised.....well, I realised my bum had disappeared.  (I know, I know, I can't believe I'm complaining about that either but I was weirdly quite happy with a bit of junk in the trunk!!)  Of all the things that could have thrown me off course I never thought it would be the fact that I've lost my bum!  But now, not only have I lost my bum, but I've lost my willpower.  I'm still exercising but not very regularly and my diet (the one thing I've always been fairly good with) is suffering and I need help!!

So while I'm still figuring out who this new person is I see in the mirror, any hints and tips on how to keep going are much appreciated!

Welcome. I'm a pixie and only  5 foot tall. Agree, Wii Fit's ideal is too small.

Here are some great glute building workouts. 

http://www.myomytv.com/the-glute-journey-glute-bridge-to-hip-thrust/

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hello and welcome!

Wowza, a mountain?! I can't wait until I can do that :)

I have found this site to be a great source of inspiration and motivation, as well as a good spot for accountability. I'm like you, no one in my every day life to turn to for support.

I know what you mean about looking at yourself in the mirror and going "wait a sec." I had this whole panic moment when I finally noticed that my shirt sleeves weren't squeezing my arms anymore. Then of course, I had to go and make it into an existential crisis, like some part of "me-ness" was being lost, more than just tissue.

Maybe that's where your willpower went. I know for me I've faltered at that point.

I uh...feel like I may have deviated from your point a little there. What was the question again?

Right, about your badonkadonk. There are looots of butt-building exercises you can do, good ones have already been linked or mentioned :) Good luck to you, and welcome to the forums!