Forums are back in action! ×

Healthy Life v3.0

Hi fellow nerds.

This is day 2 of my lifestyle reboot, and seeing as I've been scouring the blog the past few days, I figured it was about time I joined the community instead of continuing my life on the fringes.

A quick few points about me:

I'm Australian

I'm 30

I'm married

No kids yet (despite my wife's burning desire to start a family)

I work a shift work job (12 hour shifts) that is desk bound

I love takeaway food

I'm 138kg yesterday morning

And I'm into just about all things geeky (except anime and manga, never saw the point of those)

This will be the third attempt by my wife and I to get healthy. Our first attempt (and most successful one) was because we wanted to look good for my sisters wedding. It started with a juice fast, and merged into a diet of weet bix and a banana for breakfast, a salad with a boiled egg for lunch, and a frittata made with feta instead of milk and cheddar for dinner. We lived on this for about 4 months, and I lost a staggering 30kg (I started at 146.7kg). We also walked everyday during this time. But, 2 weeks away from home for the wedding destroyed our still forming habits, and when we got back, getting started again just didn't seem such a priority anymore (we were in the best shape either of us could remember being in).

Our second attempt was more short lived. I had gained back about 10kg and desperately wanted to get in shape for a cruise holiday we were taking. We purchased p90x, which while being a great programme, with sound dieting advice and really powerful high intensity workouts, isn't designed for horrendously unfit or morbidly obese people. We survived the first 4 weeks, then just went back to salads and walking again. I lost the 10kg again and went on my cruise holiday but guess what? It happened again. We got back and stopped making fitness a priority.

This time we don't have a deadline (except the one I've imposed on myself which is to lose 55kg in the next 12 month), and just want to lose weight and become the most awesome and extreme versions of ourselves that we can.

I started researching for this third attempt with more than just weight loss in mind. I wanted to nit just get skinny, but look good too. So I started hanging around the bodybuilding.com forums. I found some awesome workouts, and some well researched dieting advice. But, I just didn't really feel like it was the sort of place that I would fit in long term, so I stopped checking the boards there, and started to look around elsewhere online. And that's when I stumbled onto nerd fitness and he basic bodyweight workout.

Just the name of the site had me excited. And as I read deeper and deeper nit the levelling up your life concept and the rpg in real life concept I knew I had found a home. And so, I've come up with my level 50, and am working towards it day by day.

For those who are interested in my workout routine it is this: I use the power tube pro resistance training package to complete a whole body workout three times a week, and I walk 4km a day. I'm in discussing with my wife at the moment about alternating one week with the resistance bands, and one week with the body weight workout to stop it getting too repetitive, but I'm not really sure on this one, any advice?

Anyway, I'm trying to convince my wife to sign up for this forum as well, as Staci's story really helped show her the error of her previous workout ways (high reps low weight, and even I thought it was the right way to go. Thanks Staci for showing us the light!).

But now I'm on my journey, I was just wondering what people think i should do next with nerdfitness.com. Creat a character? Start a challenge? Join a guild? I'm not really clear on where to start, and figured this was a great way to find out rather than just wander around aimlessly.

Anyway, I look forward to becoming a more contributive member of the community, and would like to say thanks to Steve for giving us all a place to hang out that accepts our nerd ways and our fitness ways!

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses