Forums are back in action! ×

Introduction - Help!

Hi, All! I am new to the site and new to everything, really. I have done exercise routines in the past but never stick to it. I have counted calories, but it's tedious. I love everything involved in the paleo diet, so I decided to give it a shot. I am going to ease my way into it and hopefully by February be full paleo.  I don't know where to begin, though. With food or exercise. I will take any advice I can get. 

I am going back to college next semester, two days a week, so I will have access to a gym free of charge. I know not to eat the garbage they sell on campus, and plan on packing my lunch. I am going to do all I can to get into full paleo mode and hopefully lose weight and/or tone myself. I currently weigh 157# and am 5'1.  I want to be at least 118# OR go from a size 10 to a size 5/7.  My legs are my worst area, my thighs are huge.  My dad always joked that I don't have calves, I have cows.  I have always struggled with large, un-toned legs.  That's not to say that my middle is thin, I definitely need to tone that too.

I am just very lost and need as much help and support as possible. Any advice would be appreciated!

Reanna

~Reanna

Hi!

What are the types of exercise you have tried in the past? Even if you didn't stick to it, did you try anything that you thought was "fun?" Or have something in mind that might be "fun" and just want to give a shot?

Its all about being fun! Exercise shouldn't be a chore! Well, okay, its still a chore, but a fun chore! Like decorating the Christmas tree or painting a new room!  :nevreness: It should be exciting and something to look forward to. 

Me, I walk and run - that's basically it. I'm here for advice and support on strength-training. I'm incredibly bias toward walking - its easy, its free, and you can do it anywhere, any time. And not only does it aid in weight-loss but it makes your legs look awesome as well! 

As far as food goes, would you be willing to count calories only until February? I sure do agree with you that its tedious (and sometimes I forget to write it down!) But generally counting calories helps me make better choices.

It doesn't have to be "I absolutely have to eat 1,500 calories on the nose..." or "this chicken breast is exactly 157 calories on the dot." It doesn't have to be quite that strict. Keep it simple and easy and you'll naturally gravitate toward better food (because you can eat more of it!)

Generally speaking, if you eat lean meats, vegetables, fruits, a little dairy and some grains (and keep your portions in check) it will be difficult to reach your calorie goal for the day without having to go back for seconds! Isn't that great news?!

Especially if you're planning on going Paleo -  counting calories can help you limit the grains and sugar. You'll already nix the chips, soda, candy, cake, etc. because its not worth it. Its not a lot of food for the calorie content. The only grains you'll be left with are bread, pasta and rice - which give you a decent amount of food for the calories, you just have to be careful with the portions. Then when you go full Paleo, the switch will be much easier.

I counted calories in the beginning, just to get myself acquainted with "how much" this was or "how much" that was. I now know what my healthy daily food intake "feels like," so I have no need to count anymore. I'm free!

And by the way, I'm sure you have great legs! They are not cows, they're gazelles.