Forums are back in action! ×

Good Idea or Bad Idea?

So I think I've got my schedule mostly worked out (Hooray!) with circuit training, how to do a pull up training and Ultimate Frisbee.

The question is:

Is it a good idea to add in running a mile a day?

This was part of my Ultimate team's work out regime before a trip during spring break threw me off the wagon, but I also wasn't doing near as much strength training (read: none). Today's my 'cardio/interval' day, with it being an Ultimate day, but my legs are definitely feeling my squats and lunges from yesterday! Frisbee is a good hour plus, so I don't want to exhaust my legs by pushing them too much (I'd be trying to run an under 8 min. mile, which is my normal.) although I will be sitting pretty much all day at my jobs, which is a nice break for them. [and drives me insane!]

I'm open to pretty much any suggestion :D

How to do a pull up: Level 2

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Red Green

I really don't think a mile will do any harm to you. Why don't you start out by just going for that mile run without looking at the time until you are done. If it gets in the way of your other workouts then you can slow it down or speed it up. Ultimately your body will tell you what it is capable of. Make sure that you get up and stretch/walk around as much as possible with the sit down job.

Time to climb.

Yeah, I might make it a really easy mile right before Ultimate, to get the blood flowing so I don't have to spend the first 15 minutes of play time getting my legs warm. And I definitely try too...Just tricky when manning the front desk, which can't be left unattended. I never knew how much freedom I had just being around the house...

Now to stay motivated to do mile number 1!

Definitely! I'm working on trying to keep some amount of focus to really push myself during these games to cut harder, run faster and do better to not just laze about (or rather jog about) the field.

I'll probably try to work in an interval mile a few times a week...but first things first is making it a routine!

Can't hurt, although I'd suggest easing into it. I started running regularly a couple of months ago and even though I was in decent shape and active regularly I was still pretty stiff for a couple of days after my first run but it only takes a couple of runs before that will stop happening

I'll take the soreness and stiffness if it gets me where I want to be. Although I'll be sure and come back here for some motivation when I feel like whining about how sore I am and how I can 'just skip it today.' XD

Let us know how it goes Lyssi. I'm having a bit of a similar conundrum for September (yes, thinking ahead). I'm training for myfirst half-marathon and by the time football season rolls around I'll be doing about 30 miles per week. I wonder if I can play football the same day as a six miler, or if I should switch the training plan to make football night a "rest" day. I'll be interested to know how your mile affects your frisbee!

We shall run on the beaches, we shall run on the landing grounds, we shall run in the fields and in the streets, we shall run in the hills; we shall never surrender. (With apologies to Winston Churchill)

I'll be sure and update how Frisbee went tonight or tomorrow. And there's nothing wrong with thinking ahead. I know I'm going to try for my 2nd 5K in October :] I'll also ask my brother, who does a lot more endurance running than I and see what he thinks.

Well I did my one mile (I think...I was at a different park and the trail was not so clear as to what is a 'lap'...I'll have to work on that), and took it pretty easy (it's super hot down here, didn't want to push it too hard!), but definitely made it through Frisbee quite alright! I'm not sure about doing 6 miles then football/frisbee/other sports, but maybe a nice 2 mile on those days would help? I'll get back to you with any info from my brother soon!

Glad to hear it's working for you. It's a perfect warmup really, get your blood moving, oxygen flowing but without getting out of breath. The heat is killer though. I get back from my runs, walk up five flights of stairs (no elevator) and I practically have to drink a litre of water when I walk in the door! You're right though that six miles might be too much before a match if I want to get through the 50 minutes! Depending on what your bro says I might change the schedule around to make football on an "off" day, I don't want to sacrifice any milage if I can help it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We shall run on the beaches, we shall run on the landing grounds, we shall run in the fields and in the streets, we shall run in the hills; we shall never surrender. (With apologies to Winston Churchill)

Finally asked my bro! He said he wouldn't usually run long distances on soccer/football days, but he did once do a half marathon before one. Which was 'survivable.' So I'd probably work them into being off days, lol!

The heat is still killing my time though, but hopefully soon enough it'll cool down...

Awesome, thanks! That's pretty much what I figured but it's great to have backup. Don't know how he played after a half - after mine the only thing I'll be playing is the Xbox, sitting on my (probably very sore) butt.