Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, konnichiwa, and all that

Hi there, new here (obviously!). I'm Abi, an EFL teacher and knitting pattern designer, originally from the UK but living near Nagoya, Japan. My goal is to be healthier by 40 than I was at 35 (I'm halfway between now at 37)

I've always been overweight (technically obese according to bmi), but thought of myself as pretty fit (I could play tag with my students, carry a 5-year-old around, I don't drive so I walk a lot, etc). About 2 years ago I started running, which I was surprised to find I really enjoyed as I've never been 'sporty'. However, last autumn I gave up smoking, packed on a few pounds, got glandular fever, which caused me to lose my running mojo (4 months of extreme fatigue). The bigger I got the more depressed and tired I got, so I ate too much and moved less and less. Caught sight of myself in a train window one day and realised I was not just 'a bit heavy', I was proper FAT. Got some scales, found at 5'3" I'd crept up to just over 200lb - ouch!

Over the last 4 months I've lost 38lb on a keto diet, and started running again - in fact I signed up for a marathon in March! I want to get stronger though. I love the strong legs I'm developing, but my upper body is basically jelly. I can lift a 3-year-old but only for a few seconds (in case you're wondering why I define my strength in terms of what kids I can lift, I teach preschoolers).

Anyway, when I'm not running or finding new ways to consume butter (love keto!), I knit, weave, crochet, sew, and generally dabble in making things (next on the list is my own cheese!). I read a lot (huge Pratchett fan, amongst others), take various classes on Coursera and EdX, watch tons of QI and Dr Who, and take care of my 6 pet rats.

TL/DR: F/37 in Japan, always fat, got fatter, working on being less fat.

Awesome story Crafty!  Welcome to NF.  It's a great starting place and I hope you stick around.  For strength stuff, I'd recommend starting with some of the easy stuff like Steve's bodyweight routines he posted a long while ago (look through his blog posts for Angry Birds workout, among others).  

Hope you succeed in all your goals and make sure to keep us posted here!