Forums are back in action! ×

You don't strike me as the average nerd...)

Probably not. ;)

I lost 30 pounds more than ten years ago, just by no longer stress eating. I had gained 15 pounds in a year, from job related stress. I really got into cycling and in 2006 (the year I was turning 40) decided to do double centuries - 200+ mile bike rides completed in one day. I did 3 of those in 2006 and 3 more in 2007. At the end of 2007 I developed an overuse injury to my right quad and for some bizarre reason, decided that was a good reason to start doing tris. I did my first Half Ironman in 2008. I've been training for them every since. I do three or four tris a year, usually a couple of sprint distance, an Olympic and a HIM.

This past year, I really upped my training, finally became a decent runner and dropped my body fat down to 16%. I don't like weight training - that's why I work with a personal trainer. She keeps me motivated and is constantly changing things up. I have no brain cells at 5AM when I'm working with her. I do love doing plyometrics though! Jumping is FUN!!!! I'm not trying to build mass - I have to move this body 70 miles on race day - so all my weight work is more about muscle endurance.

I don't swim much - was a distance swimmer in college, once a week is my plan, but usually ends up being once a month.

I run three times a week - one interval session, one "Fun Run", one brick (bike/run) or long run on Saturdays.

One interval session on the bike and a long ride on Sunday and yoga three times a week.

Makes me tired just writing it all out. :)

Veronica

Discipline is remembering what you want.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/

Zippy, that sounds like a really awesome workout schedule! I wish I could get over the tendinitis issues I have so I could really get back into running. Reading about all the crazy stuff people like you do really motivates me to take care of my injury as well as I can so I can get back.

What Triathlon and Ironman competitions do you attend each year? I've never been to one, but I bet they really get the adrenaline going, even if you're just a spectator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

I've done Barb's Race four years in a row. It's a women's only Half Ironman in CA - 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, 13.1 mile run. I also did the World's Toughest Half in May of 2010. I don't know if it is really the toughest, but it was freakin' hard. Both the bike and the run have a lot of hills!

For shorter races there are a couple of groups that put on monthly events throughout the summer, pretty close to where I live. I pick the ones that fit with my schedule.

The whole reason I do yoga is because of a nagging quad injury. All the stretching seems to really help it.

What I've read about tendinitis, and I'm no expert, just do a lot of reading... is that to really get rid of it, you need to find the cause,not just treat the symptoms. Of course, finding the cause can be a real pain in the neck. You know... is it shoes, is it a muscle imbalance, which muscles, is it technique...

Of course if you can't run, there are events called Aquabikes - you just swim and bike. :D

Veronica

Discipline is remembering what you want.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/

The whole reason I do yoga is because of a nagging quad injury. All the stretching seems to really help it.

One pose that always gives me a really good quad stretch is a variation of Pigeon that looks kind of like this. Do you ever do anything like that to release your quads?

What I've read about tendinitis, and I'm no expert, just do a lot of reading... is that to really get rid of it, you need to find the cause,not just treat the symptoms. Of course, finding the cause can be a real pain in the neck. You know... is it shoes, is it a muscle imbalance, which muscles, is it technique...

Of course if you can't run, there are events called Aquabikes - you just swim and bike.

That's a good point. I think it's due to two things. One, I've gotten into much better shape over the past year, which has increased my endurance and aerobic capacity. I started upping my mileage and I think I did it too quickly. Two, I've been trying to change my stride to something more like what's described in Chi Running. It feels much smoother and easier while I'm doing it, but I notice that my lower calves are quite tight and sore for a day or two after. I guess those muscles just weren't used to being worked so hard?

I look forward to reading about your workouts, training, and races!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead