Forums are back in action! ×

Making of of Rocky 2.0

So... as the title suggests, I am not satisfied with Rocky, version 1.0.

Time has come for Rocky 2.0 - new and improved version.

Briefly about me:

I am 35 years old, living in the middle of European Union.

Most of my youth days I was involved in regular physical activities and training for various sports - swimming, volleyball and some soccer. I was always active, whether with the ball, or with  my bike. Looking back at those days, it is funny to remember that I was not satisfied with my look. I always thought that my legs are too fat. And I did not care about my visible six pack and strong muscles. It's funny how your mind works when you are teenager and how you focus your attention to stupid details.

As I got older I stopped exercising completely, somewhere in the middle of high school and started acting like a couch potato.

My weight increased, fortunately did not get to the extreme levels (maybe I have good methabolism, I vas REALLY not taking care what I eat and how much).

I managed to get up to 115kg (253 pounds). But bigger problem for me was poor physical condition. I got tired and out of breath climbing few sets of stairs or running even short distances. I often felt like shit, literally.

5-6 times I joined the gym, but nothing good came out of it. I always felt uncomfortable in the gyms, when you add poor and non-interested trainers in the mix, it is logical that results were almost non existent.

Few years ago I started some cycling and walked wherever I could, but that was obvioiusly not enough without more intensive exercising and good diet. Running was never attractive to me and I could not force myself to do it.

Beginning of this October I have started eating disciplined with some exercising included.

I was fortunate to stumble upon one group exercising which is somewhat similar to Insanity and such programs. And that has opened my eyes. I stuck with that group for these few months and will keep doing it for now, it is good work to elevate my condition and results are more than obvious.

After some time I realized that 2 condition intensive workouts for week are not enough for me and that I need to add exercises on my own. I felt the love for bodyweight exercises, so I read dozens of books and internet forums, also watched hundreds of youtube clips with different exercises.

In the meantime I added my own challenge - 1x per week burpee challenge. 100 burpees fastest I can, with first goal of 10 minutes. On my first attempt I managed to squeeze 50 burpees in 18-20 minutes while feeling like I will collapse on the floor any moment. But I stuck with it and now am able to do 80 burpees in 8 minutes. After that my legs refused cooperation. Not worried, 100 are just around the corner.

I started doing basic bodyweight exercises regulary and even got door frame pull-up bar. Of course with 100+ kg and poor strenght I was unable to do any pull ups at all.

But I am slowly progressing thanks to the negatives and some other exercises.

I can make chinup or pullup if starting standing on the floor. But if hanging free, still not able to do it.

Few months ago just 10 regular pushups were problematic for me.

Now I can crank 30-40 repetitions. And have progressed to doing diamond pushups and elevated feet pushups. Even one diamond pushup was impossible for me before because of weak arms, now I have no problems with them.

I even managed to do pseudo planche pushup and pistol squats, but don't feel strong enough yet to include them in regular workouts.

Recently I added running in my routine. But not long distance running, I prefer shorter but intensive workouts, and don't want to compromise my muscle mass additionaly while losing weight. 12kg loss in the last 3 moths, BF from 29.5% to 23%.

My current fitness goal is to advance myself until I can include following exercises in regular workouts:

- one armed and handstand pushups

- planche pushups

- pullups and maybe even muscle ups

- pistol squats

- hanging leg raise all the way to the bar

Also to be able to run minimum 2.7km on Cooper test (12 min)

Added challenge is to not use any weights all. I don't have anything against weights, but let's see how far just bodyweight can take me.

After I get there who knows, maybe it will be possible to decide which characteristics are necessary for Rocky 3.0 :)

Damn, this is a long post. I don't blame you if you don't read it :nevreness:

Well that sounds like you've already made an awesome journey :D 

Your goals look really good too (some of them are the same as mine!) and given your progress so far I'm sure you'll be there in no time :) 

Will you be doing the challenges? We'd love to have you over at the Assassin's Guild (bodyweight fitness all the way!)

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4