Forums are back in action! ×

The Sorest of Legs

WOOF. So, just started the Rebel Strength Guide, and just working my way through the Basic Training, doing the bodyweight stuff.

And BOY am I out of shape, haha. I was wondering if anyone had any special tips for relieving severely sore muscles quickest, cause my thighs are wrecking me right now.

I've heard good things about alternating hot and cold on them (get in the shower and switch the temperature every few minutes). Also even if it hurts keep active, you may not be able to do your full workout but just doing something that works the sore area will get the blood pumping to that area which will help. Luckily the soreness doesn't tend to last, I find it's only the first few workouts after some time off that give me stiffness

Drink plenty of fluids and don't skip any workouts. It's a cruel fact that as sore as your muscles are the day after your first workout, they will be even more sore the 2nd day. Do the workout on that 2nd day, though. You'll find that the increased blood flow will actually make them feel a lot better. Day 3 will be much better. Day 4 will be time for the 3rd workout, and you'll be a little sore, but again, it will feel better if you do it.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

The hot/cold showers work miracles. As does stretching, and keeping with your routine.

First week, I took walks during the day when I was sitting a lot to get my blood pumping and my legs working, helped the thigh stiffness so much. I cannot recommend stretching enough though. Keep those muscles moving!

If you aggro your muscles and you have pain directly after your training, you place cold on it to reduce swelling. If you get tenderness, warmth is the key. It opens up the blood vessels in the constricted muscles and alleviate the pain. I tend to find that the day after muscle training, I'm sore as. Cold compressions will do nothing for it. Nice soak in the bath for 30 minutes always hits the spot.

However, I have runner's knee and while it's healing, I have to makek sure that within 20 minutes of my exercise, I've ice packed it for 30 minutes and then later in the evening I'll put a wheat bag on it to stimulate the healing process.

Ibprofen can be taken as well but AFTER your exercise when things are sore. Don't take it before because you might miss signals your body is telling you that means you're doing something wrong.

Hope this helps!

~"A bruise is a lesson, and lessons make us better"~

FOAM ROLLING!!!

Soft Tissue Mobility work is AMAZING for reducing soreness and is REALLY easy to do on your legs (Since I've added it to my post game routine for Ultimate I've suddenly found that I'm not constantly hobbling every Friday after games Wed & Thur)

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

FOAM ROLLING!!!

Soft Tissue Mobility work is AMAZING for reducing soreness and is REALLY easy to do on your legs (Since I've added it to my post game routine for Ultimate I've suddenly found that I'm not constantly hobbling every Friday after games Wed & Thur)

I have to agree. Working with a foam roller is so incredibly worth it. I used to work with one every other day, and it was amazing. I must get back into it, I'm debating on buying my own!

200lbs is always 200lbs.

Fitocracy

Blog

Portfolio

I've heard lots about these foam roller thingies, but have never seen one or know how to use them. Do you just roll the foam up and down your legs? Rub it in? Bend it into funny shapes? Eat it?

Timmy, do you just roll the ball on your sore muscles, or what? How is it different from rubbing your achy quads with your fingers?

We shall run on the beaches, we shall run on the landing grounds, we shall run in the fields and in the streets, we shall run in the hills; we shall never surrender. (With apologies to Winston Churchill)

you can get more pressure than your fingers and it's used for working out really stubborn knots

i injured my pelvis (by injured i mean right side's slightly high than the other now :/) after deadlifting with really bad form and my gluteus medius gets some god awful knots in it so i put it under me, lay on the floor and roll it around a bit in different places/positions (you'd be surprised how much difference a bent leg will cause when doing 'trigger point therapy' on your glutes) until i hit a knot then just let my weight take care of the rest by holding that position until the pain lessens. i'm sure you'll find a bit better info if you search 'trigger point therapy'

Like Timmy said - You put the foam core on the ground, place the muscle you want to roll over it, place your body weight on the muscle... and roll

Sounds easy but it actually hurts, ALOT... well worth the pain however - I found foam rolling worked better than getting a massage at working out pain in my legs.

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. "

- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Sounds like a plan. My quads are whining from the mountains, the squats and the running, so I am definitely giving this a shot. Annoyingly, the only ball I have currently in the house is a football, so off to the sports store I go...any idea how to say "foam roller" in Spanish? :)

We shall run on the beaches, we shall run on the landing grounds, we shall run in the fields and in the streets, we shall run in the hills; we shall never surrender. (With apologies to Winston Churchill)