Forums are back in action! ×

Accept Who You Are? Or Become Who You Want To Be?

Call me Hank.

Here's where I'm at. I'm a writer/producer at an ABC affiliate in North Carolina. I'm good at my job - like, really good - and I expect to move up the ranks quickly. This is a good thing.

I'm not in good shape. This is a fact. Little muscle, a growing beer/soda belly, and I've had a ton of trouble finding the motivation to change that. This is not a good thing.

New Year's is a symbolic day, and "symbols" aren't really my thing, but I turn 25 in a couple of weeks and I'm scared that I'll continue to age and never meet my goals.

So here we go. I hope to be extremely active here on the NF forums. I hope to use your help to make giant gains. And I hope I can learn a thing or two from you guys.

Thanks.

Hank.

Stop hoping and start doing. Stop waiting for the new year and start making shit happen now. If you are as ambitious and driven in life as you think you are in business then honestly this shouldn't be a big trick at all. Ditch your vices that are in your way, whether they are garbage food in huge quantities or soda by the gallon. That will have you moving in the right direction. From there figure out what kind of awesome you want to be. Do you want to be: a) "I can run a REALLY long distance" awesome, B) "I can run really FAST" awesome, c) "I could totally beat the shit out of you" awesome, or d) my chosen path "I can pick up really heavy shit, and maybe even carry it over there" awesome. There are of course other varieties of awesome, but you get the idea. They all require very specific training, and while I will never understand the attraction to distance running I still respect the dedication to being better.

Welcome to Nerd Fitness.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Holy crap! I'm not the only person up in here that works in television news anymore! :) I'm a small-market reporter in the Midwest, with a couple of years as a small-market producer and assignment editor in the Northeast before that, followed by several years away from the business.

...and I'm also in the very early stages of my fitness journey. At least you're addressing the issue NOW as opposed to waiting until your mid-30s like I did. Hope to see you around!