Forums are back in action! ×

Wish I could run as fast as I can ramble -- complete fitness/exercise newb!

Hey, everyone! I’m Nikky and I’m pretty…geeky? Anyway, I’m here because I read Spezzy’s story and it inspired me. There are just so many sites and information out there for guys and fitness, but hardly anything on girls…besides cardio; which I hate. I currently am an addict of foreign cultures and currently I’m really into Korean things. I speak Japanese and I studied abroad in Sweden and Germany. Being abroad is where I realized, truly, how unhealthy American food is. The portions can be just as big abroad, but the quality of the food is just less processed and better overall.

I am 5’6½†and 195 lbs currently and this is where I was in the Summer of 2008. I studied abroad in Uppsala, Sweden for a year 2008-2009 and the weight virtually melted off of me (walked 35 minutes to class there and back, didn’t eat too much). I made it down to 155 lbs and I looked pretty great, albeit super weak. I didn’t intentionally lose the weight and I didn’t eat healthy by any means. Recently I asked my old corridormates what I used to eat and they told me: Chicken Quesadillas and Mackrel & Tomato sauce sandwiches (they are delicious!). However, I clearly wasn’t eating enough. So that, plus Sweden’s healthier than American food…the weight came off. But with that, I also started losing my hair, which was pretty thick (No, I don’t have bald patches or anything, rofl. My hair was just noticeably thinner and it’s just now starting to get thick again with all those little hair things bouncing out here and there). So, yes. I was skinny and I had 0 muscle.

Flash forward to Fall 2009. I managed to maintain my weight all summer, but then it was time to head back to university. I ballooned up to 165. I decided to go to the gym and do cardio and try and eat less (like every girl, hah.) and that did NOTHING for me, I maintained my weight at best. Cafeteria dorm food, obviously, isn’t good for you. I ballooned up to 175 (my lowest weight in high school). I maintained that for a while and just this summer I am now back at 195 lbs. My starting weight from before I went to Sweden.

I am sick of ~trying~ things and giving up, because I thought cardio was the only way to go. The guys at the free weights in the gym were are extremely intimidating, but basically if there is an excuse in the book, I’m sure I’ve given them all. But, I do have a legit reason for hating cardio, my knees are extremely sensitive and it feels like they pop out of place if I walk or run for too long. The only time cardio works for me is if I’m on an elliptical where there is no impact. This is also a reason I’m afraid of using weights, I’ve seen those scary YouTube videos of bodybuilders and I’m afraid I’m going to injure myself. Because, let’s face it, I’ve never done weights in my LIFE. I don’t know the proper format and I don’t know where to begin, but I WANT to begin.

So, yes. Now, I just need to figure out how to start and I hope I can learn from all of you! I want to try my hand at Paleo (even though I know my family will be trying to sabotage me…) and I want to find a gym and do weights (once I figure out how?), and more importantly I need to learn all of this exercise lingo I see everyone using here – a whole new language! Until then, I guess I can try bodyweights. What are your guys’ opinions on resistance bands?

Sorry for the rambling, I wanted to make this organized, but it ended up being a mess! XD I’m really excited to get strong and hopefully as a result look and feel better as well.

Welcome! I'm pretty new to weights as well so we can learn together! The body weight exercises are definitely awesome. I just completed one, and it definitely got me sweating!

For weights, you can start small and work your way up slowly so you don't have to worry about pulling something/improper form. Better go a little to easy to begin with and then work your way up! Steve's video's are pretty good for showing you form, and I'm sure there are other good guides lurking on the internet. At least this is what I'm doing with my dumbbell rows. I started with 6 lbs, which was pretty easy, moved up to 10, and then 12.6, and successfully did those, so I think I'm gonna try 14ish tomorrow! Sorry if that was long and ramble-y as well, but I hope it helps some!

How to do a pull up: Level 2

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Red Green