Forums are back in action! ×

Who here's a lifestyle computer nerd?

I'm quite new here, but I'm enjoying the vibe of the community thus far. To further that enjoyment, I want to delve into hobbies and professions.

I've been programming since I was 14, taking computers apart and putting them back together since I was 10, and, for the last year and a half, have been enjoying a job doing Linux application development for a company that does mass transit fare collection stuff. It's about the unsexiest industry I've ever heard of, but my skills are very well suited to the job so I'm thanking my lucky starts that they hired me without a degree! Haha.

Future goals include a degree in game development (Chicago has a great university with a great program for this) and a spot doing something in that industry. Then, ultimately, teaching this shit to eager young minds. =D

So yeah, C/C++, (a little) Java. PHP, Linux, and generally nerding out on this material is my biggest hobby and my profession. =) Anyone else on this bandwagon either professionally or as a hobbyist?

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

I've always loved computer hardware.  Started taking it apart/putting it back together a little later than you, maybe around 12.  And I enjoyed experimenting with Linux sometime around that (I think my first distro was Fedora Core 3).  But no matter how much I try, I can't get into coding.  I tried in high school and I've tried a few times since then, but I've always thought it was boring.  I really wish I didn't because my room mate has been learning some coding in his spare time (we're both biology grad students) and I'm pretty jealous.  He's also way better with the Linux command line than I am.

I am totally... I have my B.S. in Information Technology, and my M.S. in Entertainment Business. I wrote my masters thesis on software streaming for the everyday consumer, now I work for a company developing a cloud based video game streaming system. In fact I will be at CES next week attached to the nVidia booth (we are an nVidia partner) if anyone is going to be there, you should stop by and say hello. I will be the goofy looking one wearing a beanie covered in piercings vs the peeps in suits ;)

I too have been building and repairing computers since my early childhood... I still remember my first PC, it was a Tandy 386 running Windows 3.1 :D

Koushiro - You just need a project that motivates you. Programming is awful if the end result doesn't inspire you. ;)

joweaver - Niiiiice dude. One day, I shall be nearer your status, haha. I definitely relish rocking band shirts to work every day and still being an employee of a fortune 500 company though, so I can imagine doing similar things in a gaming context would be extra gratifying. =) If only Vegas wasn't so far from Chicago, I'd come chill with you for sure.

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Koushiro - You just need a project that motivates you. Programming is awful if the end result doesn't inspire you. ;)

joweaver - Niiiiice dude. One day, I shall be nearer your status, haha. I definitely relish rocking band shirts to work every day and still being an employee of a fortune 500 company though, so I can imagine doing similar things in a gaming context would be extra gratifying. =) If only Vegas wasn't so far from Chicago, I'd come chill with you for sure.

Dudette ;)

Hey, girls can be dudes too.  Don't you remember Good Burger? :)

OMG I totally forgot about that. "Welcome to Good burger home of the good burger, can I take your order please!" ...... "I'm a dude, shes a dude, hes a dude, were all dudes!"

Oh and Musasabi, you will totally get there... just keep the dream alive!

You sound like my brother. Except he's working for a company and developing software for big businesses that controls/notifies/makes sure folks working knows which closest printer to their cubicle actually has enough ink/paper in it to print their stuff. It's apparently hard to get the timing right.

He's also developed finger print scanning software and stuff in the past. Had more fun with that.

But I'm not a programmer myself. I'm one that appreciates all your hard work. Gamer/random retail worker.

Oh, and I use public transit! 'Presto' card here is badass.

Primal Chai
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."  - Christopher Hitchens

joweaver - Koushiro took the words right out of my mouth. =D And yes, the dream is a hardy thing! Haha.

Primal Chai - Ah, cool. Yeah, everything is intelligent nowadays, so programmers are needed to create just about anything. It's pretty amazing. And I'm glad to hear you like your card! Haha. Another company is having a hell of a dirty time rolling out a smart card system in Chicago right now. Poor schmucks.

5'11"/180cm

Well I spend 10-12 hours a day on a computer...so I guess I'm a lifestyle computer nerd!

I lazily walk the line of a multimedia dev...one part graphic design, one part web developer. Its a bit of a no-mans-land.

In my spare time (what is that?!) I am an illustrator and 3d asset builder for games. (Steam Workshop and game mods)

Nice. =) Graphic designers who can code / coders who can do GD are valuable people, I find. The combination of those two skills is quite marketable. Visual art has always escaped me... so instead I concern myself with stack corruption and pointer madness, hahaha. By madness, I mean spending three days at work with two coworkers (who have more experience than me) scratching our heads and trying random stuff only to find out that _one_ structure in some old code was padded to two bytes. ~_~

But, it works now.

comics-threepanelsoul-programmer-job-653

Right? ;)

5'11"/180cm