Forums are back in action! ×

Scott Adkins / Yuri boyka

Ideally, this is my goal to be big like and strong like him, and still be great at martial arts, but all my martial arts friends always tell me this impossible. I know its not though, because i see guys like him and guys like van damme who are buff and still great at martial arts. I think "buff" has some kind of stigma in the martial arts community. And i want to dispel this, but i dont know how, and since my community thinks im dumb and this is impossible, this is where i need you guys expertise. Can anybody help ? I also have some ideas and thoughts but i dont know if they'd work.

Well, look at UFC fighters. They get big and strong, and I doubt any of us could last in a toe-to-toe match with them. Getting strong is a matter of training; getting big is a matter of diet.

The general rule that I hear being espoused everywhere is "Get lean first, then get big," which I generally take to mean getting to sub-10% body fat if you're a guy. They say that you'd be surprised at how big/good you can look without all the puffiness of the fat getting in the way, but I'm not there yet myself and I can't vouch for this. ^_^;

Helping you get to that point is ultimately a matter of figuring out where you are, where you need to go, and what kind of tools you have to get there. Fill us in!

Well, look at UFC fighters. They get big and strong, and I doubt any of us could last in a toe-to-toe match with them. Getting strong is a matter of training; getting big is a matter of diet.

The general rule that I hear being espoused everywhere is "Get lean first, then get big," which I generally take to mean getting to sub-10% body fat if you're a guy. They say that you'd be surprised at how big/good you can look without all the puffiness of the fat getting in the way, but I'm not there yet myself and I can't vouch for this. ^_^;

Helping you get to that point is ultimately a matter of figuring out where you are, where you need to go, and what kind of tools you have to get there. Fill us in!

Ok im 5'4 175-ish and and at 20-25 body fat % im 16, and i really have nothing at my disposal but some dumbbells that are like 5-16.5 pounds (which is why i prefer to do bodyweight exercises), but i do have a live near a gym (only reason i dont go is i cant really pay for a membership right now) My goal is too be like a real life batman (obviously minus the billionaire part), by becoming extremely athletic and learning parkour and martial arts. And before you say, i know it might sound silly too you, but im serious

Ok im 5'4 175-ish and and at 20-25 body fat % im 16, and i really have nothing at my disposal but some dumbbells that are like 5-16.5 pounds (which is why i prefer to do bodyweight exercises), but i do have a live near a gym (only reason i dont go is i cant really pay for a membership right now) My goal is too be like a real life batman (obviously minus the billionaire part), by becoming extremely athletic and learning parkour and martial arts. And before you say, i know it might sound silly too you, but im serious

Wanting to become Batman-esque isn't going to get you laughed out of this place, man. No worries.

You don't really have to go to a gym to get beastly strong and massive. The folks in the video below allegedly didn't; their size and strength causes the bodybuilding forums to lose their minds. :D

I recommend you start with this article by Al Kavadlo. At your present body fat percentage, you don't need more size. You need to get stronger and cut the excess out. The next steps are found in this article by Paul Wade, whom we tend to regard as a controversial figure given that a lot of what he says doesn't seem to be strictly correct. I think he's on to something with that, though; the only other thing I would add to it is that when packing on size, you'd need to start messing around with the movement cadence - taking time to move through the flexion and extension parts, etc. But that's far down the line. I would advise you to start with Kavadlo's stuff, and move on from there.

• Like 1

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/23/batman-bodyweight-workout/

Boom, y'all.

• Like 1

If your can't fix it with bacon, you're probably going to die.

Obligatory Twitter link.