Forums are back in action! ×

Parasitic barnacle ready to be nice :P

Hello, Sacculina here!

I am 25 years old, 5'6", 225lbs, and just tired of being unhealthy. Most of my weight is centered around my hips, buttocks, and thighs which leads to unwanted sexual attention from those "big ass lovers" out there. I have become very weak in the arms and stomach since I graduated from college 3 years ago. During college, I was walking up mountains (college was in the Blue Ridge situated on top of one of the mountain) and climbing over 7 stories of stairs a day to get to class. I also had friends who would go to the conservatory in the back for some good hiking. Then I moved to Washington DC for two years and did diddly.

Not only am I lazy with hobbies that allow me to continue to be that way, but I have recently found out some health issues that could be counteracted besides my thyroid problems. I, therefore, have come here to kick ass and get back into some decent shape, teach myself how to eat properly again (love me a good salad...but I eat WAY too much of it), and just be happy in my skin.

Some goals I want to obtain:

1. Start the paleo diet --- low carbs will help counteract the possible diabetes in my future.

2. Throw out the candy, sodas, and junk food -- my heart would break a few years ago, but it's time and I'm not looking back.

3. Stop being intimidated of weight lifting instead of just cardio at the gym --- I don't feel any better just on the elliptical or treadmill.

Goals for now:

1. No sodas (only drink one once a week or so now)

2. Start the 100 push-up program

3. Start the 200 squat program

4. Track EVERYTHING from food intake, exercise, sleep, and how I feel.

5. No obsessing about weight (can't stand the scale anyways :D )

6. Create my first work-out routine for the week.

7. For the cardio aspect, start the couch to 5k program

Wow...I have a lot of goals for this week. Got to start on them. I am a complete and utter newb when it comes to working out so I am open to any suggestions.

-Sacculina

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

nothing to add, really, except to say hi and that your goals sound eminently doable! mine are similar and I'm also new to the NF community. Excited to see other newbies getting into fitness!

A human being must have occupation, if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

-Dorothy L. Sayers

Bamfitude's Better Faster Stronger challenge

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5886-Bamfitude-s-London-Calling-Challenge

Goals for now:

1. No sodas (only drink one once a week or so now)

2. Start the 100 push-up program

3. Start the 200 squat program

4. Track EVERYTHING from food intake, exercise, sleep, and how I feel.

5. No obsessing about weight (can't stand the scale anyways :D )

6. Create my first work-out routine for the week.

7. For the cardio aspect, start the couch to 5k program

Nice goals! I did that pushups/squats program, holy cow there's no way I could progress at the rate the program recommends with the pushups! The squats, well, those I could do. Chest is my weak muscle area, I do believe. And the C25k program!! That one is bad-ass, I had to extend it though lol.

I should so toss out my scale. You're right to want to stop obsessing or not obsess!

And just to echo MisseLaneius ^^, these are all really ambitious so don't be afraid to stagger the implentation of some of these goals!

And just to echo MisseLaneius ^^, these are all really ambitious so don't be afraid to stagger the implentation of some of these goals!

Thanks! Those goals are a little ambitious, but I kind of need something a little more difficult to work towards or I feel as if I was just being lazy. I figure since I'm trying to do all the programs at once, I'll probably modify it a little so that I'll go at a little bit slower rate. I just figured that I needed a challenge for lower and upper body...and I, sadly, am not fond of sweating so cardio is always pushed to the back so I need something to push me....and I also used a SCUBA diving trip as an incentive. I haven't been able to go in 2 years because of my weight. It'll be nice to be back "under 'da Sea" </fake Jamaican accent>

So initial tests for the squats and pushups were done tonight (my sister who is my work-out partner thought I was insane). I can do 3 push-ups and 18 squats. Wow. My upper body is WEAK. Going to fix that :P

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

A few suggestions:

# Use MyFitnessPal (a suggestion I received on this forum; and am loving it) via the website / iPhone app to track your food intake. It can be really challenging to track food intake, with or without a nice tool like MyFitnessPal. I have still not managed to regularly track everything.

# Maintain a secure / personal photo vault of your current state / progress. Nothing motivates like a picture.

# If your environment / lifestyle permits, include cardio by way of an outdoor activity. I prefer mountain biking. The minutes seem to go very slowly when you're indoors on any sort of cardio program.