Forums are back in action! ×

Practicing What I Preach!

Hello! I'm Caitlen, and it's high time for a life change. I've worked in a bio research lab at my university since my freshman year, thinking that I would eventually work towards a PhD in molecular biology. But it turns out that the thought of being chained to a lab bench for the next six years of my life really and truly gives me nightmares. So I've switched to the application of science instead, and will be applying this fall for master's programs in public health, specializing in community health education! I've been involved with an obesity prevention program for children for almost three months now, and I have never been this excited to go to work.

However. I absolutely DESPISE hypocrites, so it's time to start practicing what I preach! It's really hard to help children understand why eating right and exercising is important when they can clearly see that you don't do either of these things.

So I've made the switch to full out paleo (after close to a month of slowly easing myself in), and I can honestly say that I've never felt better. During this last month I made steady increases in my activity level as well (mostly through walking and hiking). These two changes alone have done wonders for both my body and mind :) This week I've started the bodyweight workouts outlined in the Rebel Strength Guide, and I'm hooked!

In the interest of full disclosure, the article on Spezzy is how I got hooked on the ideals of Nerd Fitness, and now my eventual goal is to be a power lifter :)