Forums are back in action! ×

Question about beginning running & barefoot shoes

I'm planning to participate in a mud run at the end of October and I've never been a runner, so I'm thinking about starting the Couch to 5K program because it seems really do-able. Thing is, the most running I've done in my life has been during games of ultimate or tag and I'm going to have to buy some running shoes.

So my question is, would it be too much to start running and using barefoot shoes at the same time? Or would that actually be better than trying to switch to barefoot running later on?

For reference, these are the shoes I'm thinking about getting.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war." - Unknown

"The victorious warrior wins first, then goes to war; the defeated warrior first goes to war, then seeks to win." - Sun Tzu

Hard to say without knowing your particular makeup, but chances are it'll be easier to start with the minimalist shoe as your whole system will get used to the additional load at the same time rather than having to reduce the load once you are accustomed to running in regular shoes. The best way to know is to try, but realize that you may have to start slower than prescribed in your program.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Good point on the slow start: when starting to run in this style, the calves are used as springs (very natural) and they're not used to it. Start with short runs and increase gradually but often.

There's certainly no rule that says "padded shoes for newbies, barefoot for experts" -- nor "padded for heavy runners, barefoot for light ones".

If someone wants to *jog* instead of running, that'll mean a heel-strike action, and that means padded shoes. But jogging's not very cool. :P

How do you define a jog as opposed to a run Andy? I always thought a jog was just a crappy run (today was a good example)... didn't think it had anything to do with heelstriking?

We shall run on the beaches, we shall run on the landing grounds, we shall run in the fields and in the streets, we shall run in the hills; we shall never surrender. (With apologies to Winston Churchill)