Forums are back in action! ×

One day I WILL toss a mountain!

I'm a data manager, web designer, retro video game collector, and spend my weekends grilling, bbqing, gaming, auto detailing, or whatever pops into my head. I'm married to the most wonderful woman on earth and we share our home with five rescued animals, three cats and two Greyhounds.

I've been working out fairly regularly since June of 2009, I went from about 220 lbs to 172 lbs between June 2009 and Feb 2010. Following a severe hand injury in June 2010 I had to stop working out and went REALLY lax on my diet. Subsequently, I shot back up to 190 lbs by early Jan 2011.

I am a recent semi-graduate of the P90X program, I started in late January 2011 and ended up doing about 75 days before my schedule got out of whack and I was never able to get back on track. I was happy with the muscle gains from P90X, but I wanted to cut more bodyfat so I decided to try out Insanity (from the makers of P90X). A few weeks ago, I did Insanity for four days and called it quits (for now), It's an awesome workout but not what I'm looking for at the moment. I also don't like the time investment required for the P90X or Insanity workouts, I don't generally like spending 1+ hours each morning thrashing myself, at least not for extended periods of time.

So that being said, I'm currently doing SimpleFit bodyweight exercises, currently on level 5 and really enjoying it. I don't even know how I stumbled across the NF community, but it looks like it might be a better fit for me than many of the other forums/communities.

My current workout routine is as follows:

M/W/F - SimpleFit + "Vanity" Lifting (curls, tricep kickbacks, shrugs, calf raises)

Tu/Th - One on One with Tony Horton: Cardio Intervals, Super Cardio, or Cardio Confusion

Hope all that makes sense, I copypasta'd most of it from another intro post I wrote.

Current:

- Male

- 29 Years Old

- 173 lbs.

- 6'0"

- 33" Waist

- Roughly 16% BF (measured on a BIA scale)

Goals:

- Establish mostly paleo eating habits

- 12-14% BF

- Join a mountain tossing league

Excited to be here!

"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?"

- Philip J. Fry

Not to question you but the absolute most intense Insanity video is only 55minute long, with most of them being 33-43 minutes especially on the first ones. Are you not into it because of the time or because of the difficulty?

Just wondering and welcome aboard!

Time to climb.

Honestly it was mostly because it really irritated me for some reason. I got really fed up with jumping around, then jumping around some more, then doing more jumping. I expected more push ups and what not, it ended up being a bit too much like Plyo from P90X only more intense.

I should have mentioned the time investment part wasn't what I didn't like about Insanity. P90X on the other hand I liked, but I got tired of spending an hour each morning in the basement.

I do plan on revisiting Insanity one of these days, but I'll probably use them to supplement my current workout rather than following the full program. That way I figure I can cherry-pick which workouts I choose to follow.

"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?"

- Philip J. Fry

I do plan on revisiting Insanity one of these days, but I'll probably use them to supplement my current workout rather than following the full program. That way I figure I can cherry-pick which workouts I choose to follow.

Yes, I would recommend that. Depending on which programs you do there are some workouts that make you do 100+pushups

Time to climb.

My SimpleFit routine yesterday saw me do 60 pull ups, 100 push ups, and 160 bodyweight squats in 20 minutes. Really liking SF but it needs more to make it a complete workout regimen, which is why I add in cardio and "vanity" lifting.

- Philip J. Fry

Hey, another greyhound person! Welcome welcome. :D

These sound like great goals, and very realistic, considering how much working out you've done before. Does your wife work out with you, and does she plan on going Paleo as well?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Hey, another greyhound person! Welcome welcome. :D

These sound like great goals, and very realistic, considering how much working out you've done before. Does your wife work out with you, and does she plan on going Paleo as well?

Yeah, we're both pretty much doing the Paleo thing but she's got her own workout regimen that's mostly cardio for the time being.

- Philip J. Fry