Forums are back in action! ×

Comic Book Recommendations/Help

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer, Batman: Haunted Knight/DarkVictory/Long Halloween, Rising Stars, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run), Batman: War Games, Batman: Hush, Death of Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman: No Man's Land, Batman: Knightfall, Sin City, Watchmen, From Hell.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I second Miller's 'Dark Knight Returns', really good. One that you absolutely have to read is 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore. Without a doubt one of, if not the greatest graphic novel ever written.

Other than that I've read a fair few Batman graphic novels but not much else. My personal favorites are 'The Long Halloween', 'The Dark Knight Returns', 'Dark Victory' and 'Arkham Asylum' (although that's more for the artwork than the story). 'Year One' is also very good (and forms the basis for Batman Begins) and 'The Killing Joke' is highly recommended (Heath Ledger's Joker was based on it) although I didn't think it was as good as others had said (but that may just have been because I read it straight after 'Watchmen' and it seemed a bit short by comparison).

I have a copy of Alan Moore's 'V For Vendetta' but I have to admit I've never finished it but a lot of his work is held in very high esteem.

I agree with this list completely. I would also add Kingdom Come and Sandman. Batman No Mans land was fun too. Other than that it's a perfect list.

I personally started with the Ultimate Marvel Universe (the whole thing, in order of releases), while there is a reasonable amount of variance, the average is reasonably high.

As for non-quite super-hero recommendations: The first issues of Irredeemable were great, although I haven't kept up with it. RED (the original three issue series) was phenomenal.

Guest Snake McClain

Right now you could jump onto the new DC relaunches. there have not been many issues out and everything started over (basically). I'd go get that. Especially pick up JUSTICE LEAGUE. because it's great.

Guest Snake McClain

Are any of you Invincible readers? I heard the fellows on the Nerd of Mouth podcast talking it up something fierce and have considered adding it to my to-read list.

Hob, Invincible is one of the best comics i've read. It's great. It has some classic cartoony stuff sometimes but I love it. I can give you a synopsis but it'd take a long time and would ruin the read for you.

Right now you could jump onto the new DC relaunches. there have not been many issues out and everything started over (basically). I'd go get that. Especially pick up JUSTICE LEAGUE. because it's great.

Justice League is good? I was thinking about getting that one. I started reading Batman and Detective Comics when I got an iPod touch a couple weeks back and have enjoyed the Detective Comics so far. I haven't read the Batman yet. Don't know why I haven't gotten to it yet. Anyway, I recommend the Detective Comics re-launch.

Discovering this thread is awesome. Stopped at our local comics/entertainment shop last week for the first time in *years* and was totally overwhelmed, and too intimidated to ask the inked up badass girl at the counter for recommendations. This thread gives me a good excuse to go back and at least have some direction so I'm not wandering aimlessly among the shelves (and possibly now enough of a clue to chat up said counter girl?!)

1st Challenge | Current Challenge

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life." -Jim Wendler

Warrior Challenge Vanity Goal: 4k pushups in 6 weeks

31.3%
31.3%

1250/4,000

Guest Snake McClain

Justice League is good? I was thinking about getting that one. I started reading Batman and Detective Comics when I got an iPod touch a couple weeks back and have enjoyed the Detective Comics so far. I haven't read the Batman yet. Don't know why I haven't gotten to it yet. Anyway, I recommend the Detective Comics re-launch.

The new justice league is great. Actually I hear all the new DC books are great but i can't speak for them all.

Going to DC right now is a great way to jump back into comics.

I'm not huge on superhero comics, but my favorite series is Astonishing X-Men, probably because it was written by Joss Whedon (and I've been into the X-Men shows and movies since I was a kid). Also highly second the recommendation of Watchmen, it's epic, and just about anything Neil Gaiman has been involved with.

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer, Batman: Haunted Knight/DarkVictory/Long Halloween, Rising Stars, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run), Batman: War Games, Batman: Hush, Death of Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman: No Man's Land, Batman: Knightfall, Sin City, Watchmen, From Hell.

All of these. Damn alecto you've got a good taste in comics.

Are you eating while your reading this?

All of these. Damn alecto you've got a good taste in comics.

I try to read the good stuff. :P

I'm running out of space - I have a 12-cube bookshelf that is just about packed...only one i really have space on is my 2nd one for Hellblazer...and those just keep coming out.

I recently picked up The Boys Vol. 1, and I haven't decided if I want to keep reading. Crossed was an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse, and I'd be interested in reading more set in that world.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I never dug the boys tbh. Plus they have a character who looks like Simon Pegg. Creepy. Favourite at the minute, one i've come back to and will do again and again, is the invisibles series by grant morrison. He says he became a psychically different person during the course of writing it. Mind blowing.

Are you eating while your reading this?

Finished Y: The Last Man yesterday evening. Was a mostly satisfying conclusion and I loved the series as a whole. Kind of sad to finish it really.

There a new shop that I've found in the city that sells second hand comics. Thanks to that I've now got the first three editions of Ultimate Spiderman and enjoying that so far.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

Hob, Invincible is one of the best comics i've read. It's great. It has some classic cartoony stuff sometimes but I love it. I can give you a synopsis but it'd take a long time and would ruin the read for you.
I re-read the entire Invincible series every year from start to most recent issue. It's pretty much the only superhero series I read.