Forums are back in action! ×

Summer Time Is Approaching:

Guest tparker

Guest tparker

Pools around the country are getting ready to open, tons of kids everywhere about to start playing marco polo, and several of you have a new avenue of training available, or at least to think about. For many, the clear blue is a very scary thought. Whether it be from a near fatal accident as a child or just the sheer fact you know what you look like in a bathing suit and don't want to show it, or you are so skinny your bones cause you to sink to the bottom at lightning speed. All of this can be overcome.

No matter where your comfort level is in the water, adding some workouts in the pool can do wonders for you. Give you a chance to feel different muscles working. Teaches you a lot about breathing properly, which is very important in any endeavor. Finally, swimming can kick your back side in terms of endurance training.

There is a pool at the gym, but the people who frequent it are always in shape and kind of aloof -

Most the swimmers I have run into, are a weird breed. Not very chatty, and there to get work done. It's not that they are looking down on you, or not friendly, it's just they have a 1600 meter (mile swim) workout that they need to do, and are on very limited time. Even if you are just learning, but you go in there with a game plan, and are there to work, and not play, there is going to be a line of respect. Most swimmers there were not naturally gifted, but took some time getting there, countless hours working and striving to be able to swim. Some after workout may chat it up, but the time in the pool is as sacred as time in the weight room is to any lifter, and they don't really have options to talk when focused. Go to the pool with determination and you have nothing to worry about from the other swimmers.

The kids... the kids -

Public pools of course are opening, and it is still a good idea if that is the only option. Hopefully the pool will have a lane or two tied up for lap swim. That is where you should live. That's the place for serious people with defined goals, and that is you. If there are no lanes marked off and your pool is a sea of chaos, you just get to learn more about turning in water, and weaving in and out. Not a huge problem, but do be aware of it.

I'm ashamed of what I look like in bathing gear -

Fair enough. There is no shame if you wear board shorts and a t-shirt. What comes into play is your attitude again once you get into the pool. Anyone can see who is there to play, and who is there to get a work out. The personalities are massively different. When you get there, you have your game plan, you have your determination, and you are there to work on your body and build your endurance. You are there to build up your stamina, build up your muscles by pulling yourself through the water. The real swimmers will see that, and while may not directly say it out loud, generally will applaud you for taking steps to better yourself. The other adults around that aren't actually doing it for exercise probably will think you're nuts, but you already know this and you can take solace that you are doing good for yourself. As for the kids, well can't help you there, they shall be the cruel ones.

I fall straight to the bottom and blow bubbles while waiting for someone to rescue me -

This is the category I fall into. Skinny, and I'm ultra dense, so I sink quicker than you would ever believe. I can't even float in salt water. You have to learn the technique, plain and simple. Even people who can't float, can still swim at the surface, it just requires more muscle exertion. So that means better workout for you. Plus there are several flotation devices that can help you with the form and make it not so bad. And no water wings, unless you really want to geek it out for the humor of it. Kick boards and pull buoys here are your friends. Again though, you use these, do so with determination. You are also here to work, and not play.

I don't know how to swim -

Not everyone does. But why not make that a goal of yours. It is achievable, you will be able to see results, very quickly in terms of swimming. When I started back up (over 8 year hiatus) I could not even make it 25 meters. In under 3 weeks, made it to 200 meters non stop, and working out at 600-800m intervals. It just takes time, practice, and the want to do so. There are plenty of places online that will show you for research on what to do, and workout plans for even the absolute beginner. There is no shame in not being able to swim, but why not check it off your list as another accomplishment from something that could not be done in the past. Each accomplish you think was not possible, that you pass, will make you realize even more is in your grasp.

Hopefully some may consider to add this just as a different form of cross training. If you want to know anything at all on swimming, basic drills, techniques, or just how to get started, by all means ask. Hope to hear from some of your successes in this department.

Haha, my best friend sinks like a stone too in salt water. It's hilarious.

Anyway, I've set a goal for myself. The day I break into the 170s (I'm 186.6 right now) is the day I hop into the pool. The only reason is because I'm assuming I'm going to break into the 170s after my Half Marathon (June). I do need that extra 7 pounds of confidence, for some reason. But it WILL happen.

My goal for 2011 is to complete a full sprint triathlon so swimming is a must. I think it'll be fun plus I'll have to get over my fear of appearing in public in swim gear.

Guest tparker

Sweet! 2011 is when I plan on going Olympic distance. This year is my Sprint distance.

Definitely keep posted on the goals and the Half Marathon. And if you need any workouts or help with that, running is definitely my thing.

For those of you that like having a plan of attack, here's a plan for increasing your swim distance: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

(yep, one mile)

I'll be honest, I've never finished it. I've gotten to week 4 THREE times, and something ALWAYS happens to completely throw me off schedule, and I end up not swimming for a long time and have to start over again 3 months later. :P

LVL 2 Ranger: STR:4 CON:4 STA:3 DEX:2 WIS:4 CHA:3