Forums are back in action! ×

Massage: Nude or not?

I've been getting massages for years and they always say to undress to "your comfort level". I've tried full nude a couple of times but I feel a little weird about it. Conversely, if I keep my boxers on I feel like I'm missing out on low back, glutes and hip areas.

I'm talking about serious deep tissue massage, not "massage parlor" massage.

The reservations I have about full nude is more from the perspective of the therapist. I constantly wondering what they think of it but it seems awkward to just ask if I should be nude. I have no problem being nude (I've been know to go "Frank the Tank" a few times in my life).

I'm male but I don't care if a male of female massages me so that doubles the possible perspectives of the therapists.

Am I over analyzing this issue?

i go with form fitting underwear that 'cradle' nicely and my masseuse just moves whatever she needs to do do my glutes, i've had trouble with my adductors and she's gone right up to the taint with that (on my first visit too, surprised the hell out of me that did, i was damn tight too so that added to the shock), as mentioned, if they've been doing it for years then a) lucky you, experience ;) and B) they're gonna be pretty used to anything approaching horrendous, you'll be fine

I've been going monthly to my masseuse for about 3-4 months now. I strip down to briefs. I don't usually own/wear briefs, but I got them for this purpose. It allows her to get as high up on my hamstring/quad as necessary without my boys dangling out in the air. I've gone nude before, but that's usually if it's a dude or an older woman. Lindsey happens to be rather attractive and about the same age as me... and a friend of a friend, so I'm a bit more bashful around her. 

As for missing out on anything, you really don't. She has no trouble going under the waist band when hitting my lower back and whenever she works my glutes, she's on top of the blanket anyway as it's usually just point release pressure work. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

"Lindsey happens to be rather attractive and about the same age as me... and a friend of a friend, so I'm a bit more bashful around her. "

It Moved!!!!! one of my biggest fears when I get one of the younger girls

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

"Lindsey happens to be rather attractive and about the same age as me... and a friend of a friend, so I'm a bit more bashful around her. "

It Moved!!!!! one of my biggest fears when I get one of the younger girls

After the first session, I lost that fear. The entire time, I'm focused on the muscles she's grinding and trying not to cry like a baby. There is no way I'm getting wood in that scenario.

• Like 2

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

After the first session, I lost that fear. The entire time, I'm focused on the muscles she's grinding and trying not to cry like a baby. There is no way I'm getting wood in that scenario.

Yep. If they're doing it right it hurts too bad to get wood. I usually find that females don't use enough pressure for me so that could be the problem there. I also think it's funny when my homophobic friends freak out when I let a male give me a massage. They're always like "I would never let a dude touch me" and I just ask them if they're scared they'll get a woody!

Definitely just ask.  I go full nude because my massage therapist (when I can afford to treat myself to her ministrations) is awesome and I trust and feel comfortable with her.  She's helped me out with some hip flexor massage and stuff, which underwear would definitely get in the way of, and she'll work on my glutes and my IT band all the way up to my hip bone.

But yeah, if a therapist says "to where you're comfortable" just respond "so, nude is okay?" and if they say yes then there you go.  If you're paying for a professional massage they're not going to get weird about it, they're pretty good with keeping sheets strategically placed over those areas.  At least in my experience.

• Like 1

Butts.

If you feel that you need to have your glutes/hips massaged, I'd talk to your therapist about what the options are and try to find something that would be comfortable for both of you (obviously I'm talking about mental comfort here, not physical :) ). My physiotherapist massages my glutes and hips through the yoga pants I wear and it seems to be working. It's a bit awkward still, but it's also been extraordinarily helpful. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

I sit at a desk all day and try to walk around at least every hour. My hip flexors and lower back are usually need the most attention, Lately, squats have been incorporated into my routine and my glutes are pretty sore. I've got a massage scheduled for tomorrow and I'm going to try to wear running shorts based on Frost's suggestion. I'll post how it goes.

Well, the jury's still out. I wore the running shorts but my usual therapist was on vacation so I took a guy who was available. I specifically told him my hips were the problem area and I like firm pressure. He may have been having a long day because he used way lighter pressure than I'm used to and he didn't go anywhere near my hips. 

Usually the therapists (male or female) at least tuck the sheet under the waistband when they're doing the lower back and he didn't even do that. 

From the perspective of a massage therapist: Some therapists are better than others, obviously. A GOOD therapist, will know proper draping techniques so that you do not feel exposed at any time. That being said, accidents do happen. By the time a massage therapist has completed their training, their view of a body is completely different than what you think. For the first six months, I walked around looking at people seeing nothing but muscles and bones. A body is a body is a body. We might notice a tattoo, or determine things like muscle density or weight to see how much pressure/techniques we use, but good therapists are rarely judging you. And the most important part of a client/therapist relationship is communication. Asking whether or not they're ok with nude, is the first step. They will tell you if it's ok. (most will say yes because sometimes it does make things easier) A therapist is not a mind reader. They need to know what makes you the most comfortable (or uncomfortable) You need to be able to say, "That hurts" or "That's just not doing it for me" or "you didn't work on the area that I asked you to work on." 

And guys...the first thing we learn is that an erection is an absolutely normal reaction to massage. It happens, and we feel bad that you feel bad about it. Just, for gods sake, don't be creepy about it. 

• Like 2

"Life is Forever Tries" - Glennon Melton Doyle

My Current Mantra: These little changes WILL add up. There WILL be a tipping point. I just have to be patient.