Forums are back in action! ×

Burnout - Help

So I'm currently in year 4 for school and have been going to school full time (Engineering), as well as working full time at a 9-5 job so I can't go part time. Most of the time the homework involved takes up the rest of the time I have available. Needless to say burnout is hitting, and it's hitting hard.

Anyone have anything the do if they get to the point of just not wanting to work anymore. I'll take anything at this point.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Well the thing to do is remove stress. This can be actually removing classes/work hours or changing the way you think about stress.

Neither is really easy unfortunately.

Make some dedicated do nothing time daily. Maybe only 10 minutes but spend that just doing nothing except think about it being nice that youcan do nothing.

Maybe you can use some vacationdays to take a few fridays off, and spent that time as free time not homework time.

Maybe there are classes that you're good at that you can skip once in a while. Or make assignments to a level where you just pass rather than try to do the best you can. Maybe there's even a class you can drop for now and pick up next semester?

Also think about the things that stress you most. Should you really be so stressed about them? If so, accept it, just accepting that something would be stressful to everyone can help you feel better.

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

Can you afford to take a bit longer than 4 years to get your degree and have a lighter load? Full time work and engineering major is a lot on your plate. Have you looked at finacial aid? Maybe talk to an advisor and see if there is a way to lessen something, less work, or less school. If you had to could you take a semester off and work and then go back and finish school. I know that is hard, you are so near your goal. But if you make yourself sick then you'll end up taking longer anyway. In the long run, taking summer and maybe one more semester to finish school isn't really that long.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Well the thing to do is remove stress. This can be actually removing classes/work hours or changing the way you think about stress.

Neither is really easy unfortunately.

Make some dedicated do nothing time daily. Maybe only 10 minutes but spend that just doing nothing except think about it being nice that youcan do nothing.

Maybe you can use some vacationdays to take a few fridays off, and spent that time as free time not homework time.

Maybe there are classes that you're good at that you can skip once in a while. Or make assignments to a level where you just pass rather than try to do the best you can. Maybe there's even a class you can drop for now and pick up next semester?

Also think about the things that stress you most. Should you really be so stressed about them? If so, accept it, just accepting that something would be stressful to everyone can help you feel better.

I'll have to look into doing this, figure out someway to cut a chunk of time for myself, you did bring up the vacation days, that might be a good idea since it's just simply overwork.I haven't really had time to myself in that 3+ years.

Does your campus give you access to counseling services? Because that might be something to look into if you can get an appointment. Or speak to a peer mentor or your program adviser and explain your situation. Burn out is common in university, especially in 4th year. I have no clue how you've managed full-time engineering studies AND full-time work!

They don't have conselors but I might be able to sit down with a teacher. As for managing the two, when I started it was a matter of "Do I want to spend 4, or 10 years doing this"... Me being me went for 4, even though I have, quite literally, no life right now.

Can you afford to take a bit longer than 4 years to get your degree and have a lighter load? Full time work and engineering major is a lot on your plate. Have you looked at finacial aid? Maybe talk to an advisor and see if there is a way to lessen something, less work, or less school. If you had to could you take a semester off and work and then go back and finish school. I know that is hard, you are so near your goal. But if you make yourself sick then you'll end up taking longer anyway. In the long run, taking summer and maybe one more semester to finish school isn't really that long.

I could afford it, but I go to ITT, and they only have a few people in the bacelors program for my degree. As a result if I were to break from the schedule I'd have to wait a year before it picks up again. I'm at the point though that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I have the rest of this semester and next, it seems like I just need to maintain my one step in front of the other mentality, no matter how heavy the boots get. Maybe a day off here and there will help.

Thankfully my body is good to me, I've got a book full of perfect attendance citations as a result.

Either way I appreciate all your comments, it got me thinking of other possible solutions and helped with the trapped in a hole feeling I was getting.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)