Forums are back in action! ×

Recommend me some practice videogames

So, fellow nerds, I have come to the conclusion that I actually suck at all videogames. All of them.

I used to think I didn't, but that was because I used to play everything on Easy and with cheats when I was a kid, and because I always played racing games that are like 50% memorizing the tracks, and resource management games where you just need to think how to use X to achieve Y.

I need a game that is good for training by general action games skills. I suck at MOBA, RTS, FPS, fighting games, shooting games, every single game that is predominantly about fast-paced action. Something like Killer Instinct, which is piss easy, with automatic combos, and you can do a lot with just a few actions. It must be single player, because I don't like to compete, otherwise I'd be playing football or basketball instead of lifting weights.

What do you recommend?

I have a fairly powerful PC capable of running NFS Shift 2, and a Samsung Galaxy S3. At this point I don't care if it's some kind of stupid Android free to play drivel, I just want something that will train my attention and ability to process a lot of action going on.

easiest fighting game that I know of is the Street Fighter series

Really all it takes is practice to become good, I can't tell you how many hours I played as King in Tekken just to become good with him

I know it's a matter of practice, but that practice has been getting so incredibly frustrating. I am sick and tired of advancing in 2 years of playing Touhou what other people advance in months, I'm sick and tired of feeding, feeding, feeding and feeding the rival team on LOL, I'm sick and tired of not being able to even touch the CPU's life bar on any fighting game whatsoever, and I'm sick and tired of not even being able to touch a semi-skilled opponent on multiplayer games.

I was told elsewhere to play Osu and Tetris, that should work on my fast reaction and coordination skills. I'm also thinking about playing Rise of Nations starting from Very Easy and enforced build-up phase, and Starcraft 2's story mode which sounds like easy too if it's like Starcraft 1's storyline.

You can always step over to turn based games, where there is time to think things trough before you act. 

Think of it as some kind of chess game where you can think for a bit before you make a move.

I prefer those at times.

civilization 5 is the ultra turn based game and also my all time favorite lately.

From the same makers there is also XCOM enemy unknown

plenty more out there if you look for it.

Simcity isn't turn based. The DRM release was awful, but an off line mode is coming and they have fixed there issues really. Turned out to be a pretty good game.

If I come up with more I'll let you know.

Dark Souls is an awesome game if you want to work on action rpg's. It's f***ing hard though. Not for the faint of heart. The thing that really increased my ability to play video games well was just sucking it up and playing on harder difficulties. It's really tough at first but it gets easier if you can just push through. No different with working out. It's working out for your reflexes and quick decision making.

Another game I could recommend would be Starcraft but again, it's quite difficult. It's like a resource management game with the speed turned up to 11.

Your brain may just be better suited to think more slowly and strategically. Nothing wrong with that. XCOM is a difficult game as well except you can take it at a snails pace if you want. I suck at it because I'm used to shooters where you just react and adjust from there. In XCOM if you do that with no foresight you're f***ed. A much better game for people that like to take things slowly and methodically.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Your brain may just be better suited to think more slowly and strategically. Nothing wrong with that.

So true. I used to be a FPS fanatic myself with delta force from novalogic, and I was pretty good at it too :-)  (talking about the good old days ;-)  :pride:

But now CIV5 (turned based gaming) is my fav. ....talking about switching environments ;-) 

Xcom is fantastic, as far as RTSs go. If you want a practice shooter, the genre is flooded and you have your pick of offline games. You may even go as far back as Halo 1. For fighters, I've heard a good deal about the tutorial in Skullgirls being very good, but there are a few different control layouts in the genre so that gets odd. If you really don't want to pay for anything I'd recommend sites like newgrounds and Kongregate that'll give you some practice on general principles, though it is a little more difficult to find a good shooter there.

If RTS such as Starcraft is a bit daunting, maybe you could try a city-builder. For that I would go with Phaoroh... it came out in 1999, so your computer can run it... maybe your smartphone if they did a port.

Basically, you lay down some huts and get people to move in. You provide them with jobs, so they can build better homes, and allow more people to move in, until you get to the point where the homes are so nice you evolve into a scribe population, where you relaly start to rake in the cash.

You really don't do much more than plan and see how well your plan worked out. At 70% game speed, the city moves along at a slow enough pace to really keep an eye on everything. I think all managers and city planners should be required to play this game to at least the fourth age.

My only caveat is that many of the missions take a LONG time to play... I once played a mission for 48 hours of real tijme (split over many days_ only to find out I had royally botched my city planning, and had to start over again.