Forums are back in action! ×

Plyometric vs bodyweight training

I currently do the beginner bodyweight training (the one from the blog), and i think i'm ready to do something harder. I would like to try the advanced version, unfortunately i don't have pull up bar (gonna buy soon). So, in the mean time, i tried to apply plyometrics to the program like squat jump and clap pushup (same set and reps). Cause i heard that polyometrics are awesome and built explosive movements (my target!). But i also heard that you need to built strong base muscle first before trying plyometric. I just wondering should i do bodyweight first, or just go straight to plyometrics? And which one is faster to build muscle? Thanks!

They're different kinds of training, and ultimately you probably want to do both for your goals.  On the clapping push ups, my gut is to be careful of how many you do as a beginner.  It's less about whether or not your muscles can take it, and more about whether or not your connective tissues are ready.  So only do a set or two twice a week to start, maybe.  Depending on what exercises you do, I don't think there's any reason to hold off on plyometrics in general.

• Like 1

Plyometric exercises are not particularly good for muscle building.

Plyometric work is very similar to strength work in the sense that it is mostly a cns adaptation. The hypertrophy response mainly comes from volume; time under tension near failure. Plyometric exercises have very little of this.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

JPrev and Waldo are both on the mark.  There are two types of adaptations - CNS adaptations which tend to be more in the realm of maximum-effort work(high weight/low rep and/or plyometrics), and hypertrophy, which generally requires a bit more volume at slightly lower weight/difficulty levels.  Ultimately you can bias your training toward one or the other, but you will want to work on both if the goal maximize your long-term progress

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison