Forums are back in action! ×

Strengthening your biceps has a direct carryover to pull up strength. Strengthening your triceps has a direct carryover to bench strength. Strengthening your quadriceps has a direct carryover to squat strength. I'm not sure I understand how assistance work is indirect.

Absolutely.  And those exercises in turn have direct carryover to movements commonly used in every day life outside the gym.  Thus, the exercises at the beginning of the chain of correlation are indirectly related (related by way of a second relationship) to those every day movements.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Likewise the aesthetic muscle groups are very functional for some movements. Show me a BBer with well developed upper pecs, delts, traps, and tris, and I'll show you someone that can lift a crap ton of weight over their head.

I do not disagree.  I do not use the term "functional" to mean "the only way of strengthening a muscle or movement pattern".  I use it to indicate an exercise that closely mimics a common, multi-joint movement pattern.  Again, it's simply a matter of terminology.  Greg Glassman wanted to convey a certain meaning.  "Functional" is the word he chose to convey that meaning.  It doesn't mean that nothing else is functional, just that when someone with a CrossFit background uses the term in reference to an exercise, that is what it means.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I like how as soon as Glassman's ideology got involved this thread devolved into a divisive pissing match. I'm out.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I think I'm starting to grasp what you mean but I want to go back to "isolation exercises essentially serve no purpose other than the exercise themselves". Do you believe that to be true?

That statement, I would like to retract.  It was very poorly worded.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.