Forums are back in action! ×

One more step on the path

Hi, I'm Kat.

I'm 36, 5'2 on a good day, and I weigh in at about 235. Mom of two beautiful girls. I am also recently divorced. I have the opportunity to build an entirely new life for my girls and myself, and I am embracing that ideal. I have started 3 business ventures, have made sure the girls have had the best summer of their lives, and have worked hard at bringing life back into control. This is one more step on that path. I'm not sure what all to say here. My simple plan is to take it one week at a time. I know from past 'diet' experience that I tend to get very frustrated if I am looking to much at the 'big picture' so I will be setting myself diet, exercise, and life goals for each week. I am going to take measurements only and those only once a month. My idea is that I am NOT on a diet, I am making lifestyle changes for myself and my girls. I have already locked up my scale to avoid the temptation of peeking to see if its going down. I am working on building in healthy habits. We cleaned out the cupboards, spent a week making sure we had one healthy meal a day for sure, then the next having two. My goal is to have myself on a 80% paleo diet in the next two weeks, with them on a more modified version. They are still growing :P

So anyway, HI! and thanks for being here. I have to tell you this site TOTALLY cracks me up. I am a table top gamer, played WoW for several years, a comic movie fan, though I only own 1 set of comics (Secret Identity, a great read!!) a HUGE fan of all things Zombie, and am raising up two geeky girls (we have a zombie action plan, just like our fire plan, and boy wasn't that fun to explain to the school councilor.) and having some geekcentric spin on this journey is awesome.

Hey, welcome to NF!

Sounds like you have the perfect attitude for this place and I can see you going far already :)

The only thing I'd say is that a lot of people here are fans of having more specific goals week to week which you may want to look into (Steve wrote a really good article on this a while back). I was quite stubborn about not doing it at first but now that I've given it a shot I'm never turning back!

But good luck (not that you need it!), I hope everything works out for you :)

In the spirit of making lifestyle changes, bear in mind that culture shock is a very real thing. It happens when you have to start using your forebrain to deal with little details that have long since slipped into unconscious habit. For example, when my kids were little, I would finish the food on their plates instead of making a meal for myself. This was a really difficult habit for me to break, but an important one for many reasons. One of which was that I deserved my own meal.

It took me a while to root out all of these dumb little habits and also overcome my impatience. I think forums like this one help a great deal to combat ego depletion and culture shock.

Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation. -- Oscar Wilde.

An unconstructed person will lay the fault of his own bad condition upon others. -- Epictetus