Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings, Melissa here -- I'm ready to start leveling up!

Hi everyone! My name is Melissa and I've been reading Nerd Fitness articles for a few weeks now. I'm used to working solo, but reading over the forums and seeing how lovely and helpful everyone is makes me want to be part of this community.

Rule #1 of the Rebellion states that one's past isn't important; it's what one does in the present to fix his or her problems that matters. So I'll try to keep my back story short. Throughout my childhood and high school years, I was a super-skinny, tomboyish bookworm. Soon after I graduated high school and got married, though, I suffered my first bout of major depression. I gained over 40 pounds in a few short years. I was never quite obese, but the extra weight contributed to some health issues, and my weight & inactivity no doubt helped feed my depression. It's been a struggle. I've had some good days, of course. And a few years ago I was able to manage my depression and anxiety enough to earn a bachelor's degree in literature at the ripe age of 27. But overall, I hate that I've wasted the last ten years of my life feeling gross about myself, avoiding getting close to other people because I worry they'll think I'm gross too, and generally not enjoying my life. 

Six weeks ago, I finally got fed up with not feeling comfortable in my own skin. I was at Walmart (I work second shift as a pizza delivery driver, and it's the only store open when I get out of work), and decided to use one of those blood pressure stations. Not only did I have prehypertension BP levels, I was also 10 pounds heavier than I expected, and the fattest I'd ever been without even realizing it. I was thoroughly disgusted with myself. This disgust was enough for me to overcome my inertia.

The next day, I started a journal to track my food intake, exercise, and sleep patterns. I bought one of those sticker reward pads for school children, and I use these stickers as little rewards in my log when I make progress or stick with my plans. I've also exercised almost every single day, only taking breaks when my muscles are sore & need resting. Already I have higher energy levels, noticeable muscle definition on my arms & shoulders, and fewer negative automatic thoughts. I had virtually zero self-efficacy before, and now I feel that I have control over my life. My husband has commented that I don't seem sad so often. And although my weight isn't my primary concern, I've lost eleven pounds so far. 

My immediate goals are to become a Dance Dance Revolution master (I still suck at it, but I'm making progress & it's incredibly fun for me), lose another five pounds before my vacation next month, and increase my balance & flexibility through yoga. I'd categorize myself as a half-hobbit (half-halfling? three-quarterling?). As for my profession, I feel the most affinity toward the druid class, but I would like to stick with adventurer for a while since I'm still relatively new to the whole fitness thing. There's still a lot of exploring I want to do before I commit too many points to any specific talent tree, so to speak.

• Like 2

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Hi Melissa, welcome to the boards!

Food journals are a great tool and I love your idea about the sticker reward system. Health and fitness are like a small snowball, once you start it rolling it gets bigger and bigger, and more and more changes start happening. I think the Dance Dance Revolution master is a unique and awesome goal. You can do it!

Miles walked to Mordor: 2 --> Still in the Shire

Current Challenge, Miles walked to Weathertop: 0

2014 Past Failed: Challenge

I like your username.

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

Thank you. :)

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)