Forums are back in action! ×

Vibram Five Fingers

Vibrams inspired my running. I started with KSOs and I now have 3 pairs. 2xKSO 1xBikila. I find the KSO has a slightly different fit than the bikila, I prefer the KSOs.

I have heard that some people's toes are shorter and slightly bent downwards, preventing the toe pockets from fitting comfortably. But from the first time I tried them on they have been the most comfortable shoe ever. I find other shoes really uncomfortable now and wear little else regardless of activity.

Having not been a runner before vvfs I had a few problems, especially while increasing my distances. My bones objected more than my muscles. If your already an experienced runner though it may just be your calves that need adjusting. Either way, a lot of places say start out with only 10% of your normal run when switching to a barefoot style run.

Hope you love them. I can't believe people don't!

I wear my KSOs for sprint work and working out. I have a pair of classics for daily use around campus. I walk 3 or so miles a day around campus in my classics. If I could swing it, I would wear VFFs all day everyday, but my job requires steel toe boots (no steel toe minimalist shoes that I've found). The KSOs offer a closer fit and are great for sprinting around the park and jumping across a ravine and climbing stuff. I never tighten up my classics, just leave them loose for walking.

Allons-y!

DWH

If you can't fix it with squats or fish oil you're probably going to die.

blog || twitter

Loren Wade - I've had a pair of KSOs for two years now. I would definitely recommend them. The ones that I've got (I think) are the original KSO model in some sort of ugly green-yellow and grey color. I bought them to use as an alternative to surf booties in warmer water, and have taken them on a few trips - they're great as an all around water shoe. More recently, I've started using them for pretty much all of my workouts, and they're working out great for that as well.

I was a MEC a little while ago, and noticed that there's a whole bunch of different models now, some of them with treads and other goodies. I can't help but wonder if this defeats the purpose of making a shoe that's designed to emulate going barefoot...

I've had my KSOs for about 6 months now, and while I don't wear them everyday, I still love them. It took me about a month to transition to running in them - I felt like I had to re-learn how to run - but I don't think I could go back to running or working out in a regular shoe now. It just feels too good being (almost) barefoot. I've been planning on getting a set of the Treksports soon, since I've got a race coming up that's got a few off-road portions, and last time I took my KSOs on a trail, I was really wishing I'd had some thicker soles.

So I've been considering vibrams for awhile but they do seem expensive... I'm considering going by REI to just try them on and see if I would even like them. If so I may try out a pair of KSOs for the next challenge. I'm curious if they could help my squat form as well as running... I figure the only way to really know is to try them and see.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

I'm not a runner, and my exercise (taekwondo) requires you to be barefoot anyway, BUT!! I just got my first pair of VFFs a couple of weeks ago:

Posted Image

This is me wearing them in the store. I realized I NEEDED to buy them when I realized I had NO DESIRE to take them off!!

They were about $85 -- this is the Jaya, the casual shoe that I believe they only make for women. Though I have heard men VFF wearers express envy at the Jaya.

A couple of things: the first few days I wore them my feet were SORE. My feet, my ankles, oh my god. haha. But I knew that's just because I hadn't been using those muscles and they were getting use finally. This is also after six months of barefoot martial arts, so someone might find more or less soreness. They don't hurt anymore. I am finding that the skin on the ball of my left foot is itching and peeling, but it seems that the callouses are building up.

Those are the only problems I've had. TOTALLY worth it for the comfort and wellness of my feet!

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. After trying on a few pair, I actually went with the Komodo Sports. I put them on order today. I'm expecting them by Friday! :)

I ordered a pair using the measurement table from the vff website, but they feel small.. I don't have particularly long toes at all, but they are cramped. Do they stretch out at all, or should I size up? I wore them for about 10 minutes and they felt great to walk around in, but my toes were a bit numb.

From my extremely limited experience of trying them on at the store, I'd say go a size up. My toes fit like a glove. They were not cramped...

Definitely invest in a pair - they're great and will change how you think about running, etc. Also, definitely order them from the US or Canada as the markup elsewhere is insane. I live in Australia and a pair of KSO Treks that I can get for $99 in Canada are over $250 here. I bought my regular KSOs last year and have put on hundreds of km in them with barely any wear apparent so far (but god they stink after a few weeks without a wash!)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Do they actually offer any warmth though?

I don't remember the source but if I recollect correctly I've read about VFF users that use them with toe socks during winter. Seems it's no problem to run for 20-60 minutes at really cold temperatures, while not getting wet, as long as you make sure to feel your toes from time to time to stay safe from frostbite.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts too. Been thinking about these for a while.

I love mine. they were well worth the price for me, despite my Morton's Toe. I use them a lot (there's a morton's hack if you have that, but min have been slowly stretching out to accommodate my toe anyway).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

This whole minimalist shoe chat/debate/obsession is starting to become nauseating. If you feel the over powering need to be apart of this trend by all means buy them. We have evolved over the years in regards to footwear where we are now. Simply putting on a pair of VFF's does not roll back all the years before that magical moment in the shoe store. If walking about and exploring is your thing, by all means knock yourself out with them. If you have entertained the thought of running or any other form of training in these...good luck mate!

As always (SFW):

http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

Random Workouts...Random Results

CultFit

This whole minimalist shoe chat/debate/obsession is starting to become nauseating. If you feel the over powering need to be apart of this trend by all means buy them. We have evolved over the years in regards to footwear where we are now. Simply putting on a pair of VFF's does not roll back all the years before that magical moment in the shoe store. If walking about and exploring is your thing, by all means knock yourself out with them. If you have entertained the thought of running or any other form of training in these...good luck mate!

As always (SFW):

http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

While I agree that by putting on VFFs will not immediately make you better, I have found that after wearing them for years I have less problems than I did in regular sneakers. I run in them without injury, I train in them without injury. There are people who don't realize that you need to transition slowly to avoid injury. The article you link to states that they have heel injuries. I would question the article since there is no background on the patients. How long have they been running barefoot? Have they adjusted their running form? Did they transition slowly?

And besides, barefoot isn't for everyone but I am glad for the option.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

We have evolved over the years in regards to footwear where we are now. Simply putting on a pair of VFF's does not roll back all the years before that magical moment in the shoe store.

If you mean, "we haven't been properly using our feet per our genetics", than yes you are right. That article didn't mention anything about normal running shoe related injuries. They aren't on the rise, because they have remained constant for the past 30 years despite all these "great" advancements in shoe technology. What it comes down to more is HOW you run, now what you run in. If you run like a moron in the latest and greatest nikes, you will injure yourself. It might take longer, but it will happen. If you run like a moron in vibrams or barefoot, you will injure yourself, and most likely it will be right away. The whole point being, that in the vibrams it assists you in running correctly.

With that said, be safe, be careful, and limit your body until your body can be something it has been wanting to be all along.

Time to climb.

As always (SFW):

It doesn't take longer than reading the responses in that article to take a breath and move on. All it concludes is that we are all individuals with different traits, some can run well, others can not. The rest is only assumptions. If we want to run minimalistic and feel free outside, let that be our deal.

We have evolved over the years in regards to footwear where we are now.

Scientific Source on that please, your link does not cover that. :)

Scientific Source on that please, your link does not cover that. :)

When was the last time you saw and infant brought into this world wearing some sort of footwear? Do you recall the last time you went a week barefoot?

Nauseating to the point that if you need an internet forum to validate your choice of minimalist shoes...

If you enjoy them, knock yourself out. And remember it's the not the shoe that causes the injury but rather how we run in them.

Random Workouts...Random Results

CultFit