Forums are back in action! ×

Just happened to wander into town, by a stroke of luck.

I should start by saying what an amazing find this website is. After coming across so many other fitness-related online communities that have an overly arrogant, condescending, and competitive (not in a healthy way) tone, and am delighted to find a place that supports those of the so called "nerd" population who refuse to succumb to the stereotypes the label brings (weak, slow, uncoordinated, in general not very good at real life).

A little bit about myself: 

I'm a 33 year old guy, not in too bad of physical condition, but not great either. I've been in better shape in the past, and this is something I hope to recapture. I am a navy veteran (which is why I say I've been in better shape), a family man, martial artist (been involved in one form or another since 2004), and thinker with a great many personal interests. My "lean" years of high school, the military, and university are long behind me now. I work a job (rewarding as it is) where I drive a desk 95% of the time. I'm still working on finding the right balance between my fitness/martial arts pursuits and the two primary priories in my life: family and then work (in that order). But I know I'll get there, with persistence, seeking new knowledge, and hopefully the support of an awesome, like-minded community.

In looking at the features of this online community, the monk path caught my attention first, due to my obvious interest in the martial arts. However, in looking a bit further, I realize that all the different paths will have something to offer me, and I need not dedicate to one. The adventurer path holds my interest right now, as I think my primary goals at this early stage will be related to overall health, not exclusively to my martial arts pursuits. The scout path also has great appeal for me, as I have had a regular running and cycling routine in the past, have taken up a new interest in XC skiing, and may consider lap swimming as well.

Just thinking about the possibilities, I'm loving it.

• Like 1

(DeRail) - Rebel / Monk

"Yeah, I'm slightly irreverent towards tradition. Sorry not sorry."