Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, I am Abraham Bouvier, and I'm from Norway. I am 6 feet in stature and my weight is approximately 60 kg. My favorite color is purple.

I found this site when looking for guides for parkour, but got much more than what I expected. I've had a peek around, and from what I can tell this is a wonderfully complex and supportive community, and I believe this is the time for me to make life my bitch.

So I claim to be a viking. Of course, this is an unusual claim - after all, vikings are stereotypically big burly warriors, and my build and attitude seems to suggest I will be joining the Assassins. Well, prepare to be surprised. Being a viking has nothing to do with what you look like. It's all about where you live, and the style of your training. Many vikings were actually farmers and merchants, and the training done by vikings was mostly lifting heavy stuff, walking long distances, and rowing. A viking can be a monk, and a viking can be a scout. It doesn't matter. Basically, my point is that vikings aren't a narrow ideal, vikings are a varied group.

I grew up in the middle of Norway, near the coast. I lived on a boat for a few years when I was younger, and discovered a fondness for the sea. I also enjoy climbing stuff, particularly trees and buildings. I currently live several hundred meters from the sea, in Namsos, Norway.

I am primarily self-educated in the fields of old Scandinavian history (700-1300), Norse mythology, and old Norse culture, to varying degrees. I have no degrees to show for it, but I know a decent bit about it. I am also studying chemistry, physics, and biology, with the intention of getting a Master's degree in chemistry upon the completion of my education.

Pic related (from 2012, I don't appear in photos very often)

post-27507-0-06002100-1394413538_thumb.j

post-27507-0-06002100-1394413538_thumb.j

• Like 1

Norskefaen the Level 0 Changeling

"So why do people tend to include quotes for their character, anyway?"

Welcome, Abraham!  I love Norse mythology and Viking history (I'm a medievalist-in-training), and I'm excited to see what you get up to here at NF!  

Will you be joining this challenge?  It's too late to earn prizes or anything by joining, but you can still start a thread in the challenge forums.  Hope to see you in the Assassin's guild soon!

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

I've already started. Being late is no excuse for not putting in effort, after all.

So what's a medievalist? I get that it has something to do with the Middle Ages, which a quick google shows to be 400-1400, but does that mean general Middle Ages or specifically the High or Low Middle Ages? Do you study Europe or is it more global?

If you have any questions or comments regarding Norse mythology and culture, I'd be happy to discuss it with you - worst case you get a different perspective, best case we both learn something.

• Like 1

Awesomness.

I've only gotten halfway through the poetic Eddas (when Oh when do I get to Thor in a dress?!?) but I am enjoying a good intro into Norse myths

Of course I am biased in you getting your masters in biochemistry, but I'll let that slide.

Thor in a dress... This would be after the war with the Vanir, I think. Not sure.

I've already started. Being late is no excuse for not putting in effort, after all.

So what's a medievalist? I get that it has something to do with the Middle Ages, which a quick google shows to be 400-1400, but does that mean general Middle Ages or specifically the High or Low Middle Ages? Do you study Europe or is it more global?

If you have any questions or comments regarding Norse mythology and culture, I'd be happy to discuss it with you - worst case you get a different perspective, best case we both learn something.

I'm glad you've already joined!  *applause*

A medievalist is, in the most general terms, someone who studies the Middle Ages--it is a very broad definition!  As far as time period, I am particularly interested in High Late Middle Ages and even early modernity, but I love most of the medieval era.  Topics that interest me most are generally in Europe with emphases on Catholicism and Germany.  Then again, I love the twelfth-century mystic Hildegard von Bingen, influence of the Great Mortality (aka the Black Death) on religious movements, the various Crusader movements, early modern German humanists like Reuchlin and Luther, Viking influence on Europe, women's spirituality during the 14th and 15th century...  Most of these things fit into the realm of medieval studies, which just shows how much there is to study and learn.  Luckily, as I am a very young historian, I have time to study everything before I specialize!  

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

I'm glad you've already joined!  *applause*

A medievalist is, in the most general terms, someone who studies the Middle Ages--it is a very broad definition!  As far as time period, I am particularly interested in High Late Middle Ages and even early modernity, but I love most of the medieval era.  Topics that interest me most are generally in Europe with emphases on Catholicism and Germany.  Then again, I love the twelfth-century mystic Hildegard von Bingen, influence of the Great Mortality (aka the Black Death) on religious movements, the various Crusader movements, early modern German humanists like Reuchlin and Luther, Viking influence on Europe, women's spirituality during the 14th and 15th century...  Most of these things fit into the realm of medieval studies, which just shows how much there is to study and learn.  Luckily, as I am a very young historian, I have time to study everything before I specialize!  

That sounds incredibly awesome. Unfortunately, I don't quite have a response. I appreciate the explanation, though.