Forums are back in action! ×

Routine

Ok, so for those that don't know, I work a very weird schedule.

I work two weeks(14 days, with 12-14 hour days) in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.

I travel 1 day there and back, and spend the remaining 12 days at home near Houston.

So far I've done the Beginner Body Weight Routine 3 times(slight modification, more push-ups, more plank time) so far. I did that while at work.

I'm now home. I was thinking of getting a membership to 24 hours fitness so I could do something a bit more intense when I'm able. Any ideas for a complete weight beginner? I read the article on how to design your own workout, but I still feel mildly lost.

On my "off" days, would it be appropriate to do a ~20 minute round of interval training(running) or would that be too much work for an off day. If it is, what would you guys recommend(if one requires stuff, possibly come up with an alternative for when I am at work.)

And for my diet, I know it says not to worry about calories, so does that mean I should just wake up and have some eggs and bacon or some kind of protein shake? What is too many calories? Too few?

I'm 6'2" ~190. Not fat, just a bit on the soft side, maybe a small belly, not noticeable with a shirt on.

So add to this, maybe instead of interval running, swimming on off days. I know I'd need to take a course to learn how to swim properly, but I hear it can be quite effective for all aspects of fitness.

Also looking to try and do a mobility routine(MobilityWOD or something similar, open to suggestions) on off days as well. Stuff like that is best done after workouts, not before, correct?

I guess I don't completely know exactly what you're asking.

Have you ever heard of the book Starting Strength? Might be a good starting place if you want to get into weights.

If you're still into bodyweight exercises, I highly suggest Convict Conditioning and Steve's Rebel Strength Guide.

Pretty much... Find what you enjoy and leverage it for how you want to look, feel, and perform.

Oh, and I've only found good things about Mobility WOD.

EDIT: What kind of diet are you following?

A rule of NF is to train intelligently. A lot of that is simply... researching yourself, trying things, observing the results, and then tweaking them. We are all at different places with different histories and goals. That said, to get you started:

a) Workout:

Do you want to do body weight, or weights, or both? Down the Bodyweight path is handstand pushups and flagpoles, down the weights is... really heavy weight. Which appeals to you more?If you like body-weight, how was the intensity of the beginer body weight workout? Sounded like you need to increase the difficulty. Take those exercises, which is a great fullbody routine, and tweak them. Declined pushups (feet up on steps or a ball if you hate yourself), plank with lifting alternate feet for 10 seconds each.... Challenge yourself. If you get bored, step it up.

You only need a gym if you need/want the equipment. If you dont need it, it's a waste of money. And you cant exercise in your underwear, which is evidently not uncommon during at-home workouts :P

I do suggest you keep your workouts standard - something you can do when travelling and at home, so you have consistant improvement to track.

B) Rest days:

do what you can handle. When I started, I walked. Then I ran. Spezzy does strength every day, just different exercises hitting different muscles. Whatever you would like to do, try it, see what happens, give yourself a week or so to adjust to the new demands before you decide it's too difficult.

c) Diet:

If you are eating nothing but good, real food, You dont' really need to count calories unless you have a serious weight problem. Eat until you are not hungry, and eat good quality food, avoiding anything that disagrees with your body (glutin, dairy, nighshades, whatever), and your body will thank you for the nutritional support.

If you eat bad, fake foods regularly (i.e., anything with sugar, anything manufactured, anything your personal body chemistry doesn't handle well), then you need to be more careful. The calculations to figure out the calories you need, and the ratio of protein/carbs/fats, and what is good vs what is not good, have been typed dozens of times on this forum. Do a search.

d) Mobility WOD rocks. Do after workouts as a very stretched muscle doesn't contract as strongly, so you lose power for a few hours.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins