Forums are back in action! ×

*test, is this thing on?*

Um, Hi.I just blundered across nerdfitness and I'm sad that it's my first time here, it seems like the natural habitat of someone like myself. Why, you may ask. I split my free time between two hobbies, board games and lifting. When push comes to shove, lifting wins but I feel a little empty inside when I have to make that exchange. So, you all sound like my kind of people.

Training-wise, I have a long-ish career. I started in highschool like lots of folks then fell off in the college years. I started again when I was about to get married and weighed 260, I was still 250 when I actually got married. I then got hooked on powerlifting and strong man and pushed up into the 270s but had the privledge to pull over a quarter ton and compete in some really cool strongman meets. Then tragedy struck (a little melodrama here) and I was sidelined for a couple years. 

I came back with a vengance about five years ago. This time I'm sporting some kettlebells. This year I expect to hit my weight goal of 85K in preparation for competing with kettlebells. I also dabble (truly just dabble) in crossfit. I've crosstrained for years but those guys are very specialized and I've not yet learned the skill set.

I look forward to participating in the roleplaying and challenges. I've got a few goals for myself for the year that I need to work into those and I've got a long google doc of random feats of strength that I'd like to do that could work well also. 

Please feel free to PM me, give me tips, suggestions, plans and guff as needed.I'm here because I'm constantly trying to find a supportive training community that occasionally surfaces from the testosterone long enough to push me harder.

• Like 3

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Welcome to NF.  Sounds like you have quite the background.  

Not to pry, but was the "melodrama" injury related?  No worries if you don't want to discuss.  Just curious if it was an injury or the ol' lazy bug.  He got me for a good 4 or 5 years starting in the later years of college.  

Glad to have another MN native that likes to lift heavy stuff.  

Rooks,

In that exact contact, I was referring to my "tragedy struck" as melodrama but yeah there was also melodrama surrounding the injury itself. I herniated my L4L5 disc so bad that my left calf still twitches constantly. I found out this year that I have also lost the reflex in my left Achilles as a result. For years there was pain and only in the last year (6 years since) have stopped having constant numbness in my thighs. It still happens in certain postures but I can at least adjust to make it go away now.

I suspect I had started the injury long before the actual day of injury but that day I was doing 400+lb deadlifts for reps and let myself be goaded into more reps than I should have. I take ownership of my injury but I can't help but have a little bit of hurt feelings about the training partner who was there that day and even after seeing me drop to the floor in pain, he never asked after me in the months to follow. I don't think of myself as a person who holds grudges but I did make a choice to remove that person from my world in every reasonable context. It didn't hurt that we had plans to get out of Baltimore at the time.

So, yeah, there was melodrama and I'm guilty of perpetrating it.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter