Forums are back in action! ×

Over training?

By taking the time to do your research - read the articles here, the topics people have talked about, read the programs and books they suggest. Learn about your body, what muscles it has and what those muscles do. Learn how to read your body personally. Learn what training aspects can and cant be put together/what you can do each day.

I'm sorry, but I can't write what people can't fit into entire 4 year college curriculums in one post.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I notice (from looking at the challenges and logs) that people workout almost everyday, but they don't do split days, they just do different activities. Is that what you're getting at? every time someone does a workout they do something different there for working slightly different muscles?

Could someone either recommend a book or just give an example?

My Fitocracy

It's not about looking good anymore, it's about getting stronger

as long as you rest, recover and ear right i don't see a problem, as long as you're not training the same thing day in day out it should be ok

I notice (from looking at the challenges and logs) that people workout almost everyday, but they don't do split days, they just do different activities. Is that what you're getting at? every time someone does a workout they do something different there for working slightly different muscles?

Could someone either recommend a book or just give an example?

it depends completely on their goals. i know you didn't like my answer, and i knew you wouldn't.

my personal favorites are starting strength and practical programming for strength training. though they focus on barbell training.

steve wrote some good books also.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

as long as you rest, recover and ear right i don't see a problem, as long as you're not training the same thing day in day out it should be ok

you have to be careful though, and really listen to your body.

if you try to break up your workout days into bodyparts, you need to remember that each body part connects to the next.

you all know i train every day and believe that you can, im just saying be careful.

I think one thing Spezzy is saying that if we try to give a quick easy answer of "how" we can only give you a partial answer, and partial answers hurt. If you are serious about working out and really do want to get to a place that you can work out safely and healthily, then you will need to really educate yourself to know what your own body can handle. What works for Spezzy may seriously injure someone else (I know my arms would just fall off).

You are on a site with "nerd" in the title, after all, so we all expect people to want to geek out about us and know what we are doing to our bodies, how, and why so we can all be making informed decisions.

Can you work out everyday? Yes. Can you hurt yourself if you do it wrong? Yes.

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Do you need to 'workout' workout every day? Like heavy lifting or strength training? Or do you just want/need to stay active? Have you tried doing activities to get your heart rate up and increase your flexibility and endurance without strength training in between workout days? Getting tired and sweaty might help tide you over in between.

Do you need to 'workout' workout every day? Like heavy lifting or strength training? Or do you just want/need to stay active? Have you tried doing activities to get your heart rate up and increase your flexibility and endurance without strength training in between workout days? Getting tired and sweaty might help tide you over in between.

I hate running. HATE HATE HATE IT. If I do cardio it's something that still works muscle tissue, like tabata pushups or burpees. I do like to sprint though, so maybe thats a thing

My Fitocracy

I do like to sprint though, so maybe thats a thing

That's definitely a thing. Lift one day, the next day run around and sprint to your heart's content, next day lift. Hopefully that would satisfy your urge to be doing something everyday. As Steve has said, find what you like and do it!

Hope this was helpful!

How to do a pull up: Level 2

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!" Red Green

This. There's no such thing as over training, just under eating and under sleeping. The professionals of yesteryear (as well as the ones today) trained all day, every day.

you have to be careful though, and really listen to your body.

And this. If you are training every day, eating the right foods (and enough of them), and getting plenty of sleep, you will see gains and improvements across the board. If you truly do all three, you'll be more likely to burn out mentally rather than physically.

The problem is that, realistically, most people cannot dedicate themselves to all of these. If you have a family and/or a full-time job, then you will find yourself short on sleep and making poor food choices. Also, most people want the quick results, so they cut corners. This leads to injury.

Read some blogs like Chaos and Pain, or Let No One Say You Can't for some examples of guys who train every day.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Here's an overtraining metric: your performance gets worse. Weird thing is, people often misread that and over-overtrain. Performance carries on getting worse and it's common to see a person getting kinda stupid about it, until they blow up and get sick.

If you're getting slower, or weaker, and your heart rate is way off normal, and your sleep is going to crap -- you're probably overtraining. So long as you're good, you're good.

Traceur, before you worry about overtraining, try sticking with a program first.

First you said you wanted to do Crossfit. Then you said the METCON was too easy. After that, you started to get worried about overtraining. Now, you're looking at Starting Strength.

What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish? People can suggest anything, but this quote from Seneca really sums it up:

"If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable."

post-151-13567243044479_thumb.jpg

Traceur, before you worry about overtraining, try sticking with a program first.

First you said you wanted to do Crossfit. Then you said the METCON was too easy. After that, you started to get worried about overtraining. Now, you're looking at Starting Strength.

What are your goals? What do you want to accomplish? People can suggest anything, but this quote from Seneca really sums it up:

I'm sticking with the METCONS but I'm just looking at the frequency at which to do them. If three days in a row is too much.

My Fitocracy

exactly. i didn't think Starting Strength was right for you, Traceur - as I said, it focuses on barbell training, which I believe you said you weren't doing - but it's my personal favorite book for starting out.

I'm sticking with the METCONS but I'm just looking at the frequency at which to do them. If three days in a row is too much.

No, its not too much, but you have to do it right. And you say metcons but there are SO MANY different types and forms of "metcons" out there nowadays.

But what Army said above is a reason why I'm hesitant to tell you yes or no either way. Pick a program, do your research on the program and learn it, do it correctly, and then we can offer advice on it. But generic "can you overtrain by training three days in a row all the time" questions are just that - too generic.

Content Warning

Some readers of this blog have contacted Google because they believe this blog's content is objectionable. In general, Google does not review nor do we endorse the content of this or any blog. For more information about our content policies, please visit the Blogger Terms of Service

lol this came up when i followed the chaos and pain link... i don't think it's very popular :D

I work out 3 times a week for less than 30 minutes. This works great for me.

For me working out is just a part of my life. It doesn't take up much of my time, and it doesn't have to. I find that I get the best results when I'm not "living" it. This frees up much spare time for me, which I need to work and for my studies at the University. Also it gives me a lot of spare times for my friends and my girlfriend. This is just my philosophy though.

I hate running. HATE HATE HATE IT. If I do cardio it's something that still works muscle tissue, like tabata pushups or burpees. I do like to sprint though, so maybe thats a thing

Just note that I never said running. You have a bajillion options. Rowing, dancing, martial arts, fire spinning, cycling, acrobatics, aerial silks, climbing, jumping on trampolines, etc.

Running is never your only option.