Forums are back in action! ×

Pilates Stomachache

I've been doing Pilates for a week, Barre3 and Pilates Fit alternating, every day. And after only a week, I feel like a total wuss for complaining... but I have this stomachache.

Now. It could be a lot of things. I'm starting school, and it's stressful, and I'm not sleeping, and my life schedule/eat schedule/sleep schedule is all off. I moved into a new apartment, and the water tasted funny, so it could be that but I bought a filter last night. Or it could be the pilates.

So my first question is, am I doing something wrong? The Pilates Fit lady makes a point of telling me to always tense/hold in/suck in/firm up my stomach, and that if I'm not then what I'm doing is useless. But what feels like a lot of the time, I can't. The position is just NOT one where I can suck in my stomach. So it poofs out instead. Could it be this?

I searched it online and didn't come up with much. It's either people saying that it's likely the stomach poof issue, and to stop (uh... thanks) or it's saying that the stomach pain is normal and means it's working. Any advice? It doesn't feel like a sore muscle - when you know it's because you're getting stronger - it just feels like stomach pain. An upset stomach feeling, a cramp feeling, that almost-nausea that isn't too bad until you really think about it.

Thoughts? Is it the exercise? Any help is appreciated.

You're not used to it and it'll get better. : )

if you do like.. 75 situps.. long past what you thought you could, you'll get kinda nauseous. This is the same thing. Its just the nauture of the core muscles.

keep up with practicing how to activate your core muscles. Right now you're not used to the motion, so they're not contracting properly. Flex them tight around your lower spine like a corset, all the way to your pubic bone, and they'll get stronger.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Oh, good! I mean that's pretty much the best answer there could be. Is there any kind of remedy, or should I just power through it (easier now since I know what's causing it)?

At first I had thought that I would try and modify the moves by not going down as low, etc, so that my stomach was always firm, but the ones that I can't do right just don't lend themselves to that. I already sit up pretty straight when the teacher is making an angle \_ just because I can't do it.

Is there anything else? Work through it?

PS Thanks Alethea! Where have you been this challenge?

Yup, no alarm bells! If it really bugs you, stop for a few days until it stops being hurty, then start again at lower intensity to gradually let your muscles adjust to the new demands. If you feel like a trooper, power through it, it shall not harm you.

But when I say power through it... in pilates, form is everything. Modify the moves so you can do them properly. A sloppy advanced move does less for your muscles than a proper beginner move, and it teaches you bad habits besides. You'll be surprised how quicky you move on, but do it right and start from the beginning.

Also, to learn how to fully activate your core so you can do them properly.. homework! Throughout your day, practice standing straight, practice imprinting your spine straight against walls, practice above all keeping your core activated and tight to support your internal organs. Draw your core muscles in toward your spine every time you think of it. Not only will this help you, with practice it'll be automatic and make you invincible to the sneakattack ninja gut-punch.... And also make you look 10 lbs lighter. :)

/end rant!

Oh, took a vacation off NF and decided to go my own way for a while. Keeping busy though (when I'm not hurting myself, of course. Alethea: Learning things the hard way so YOU don't have to), and will definitely say hi next challenge!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins