Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from the mountain country of northern Arizona! I'm 41, and looking to get healthy and get my weight under control.  I started out last year at around 218 pounds (I'm 5'5") with a body fat measurement of 45% -- measured via an electro-resistance contraption at my doctor's office.

I resolved to get healthier by eating better. It was a vague goal, at best, and I had no real clue what that meant. I did stop drinking soda (quit cold turkey) and other sugary drinks, so that was a plus. I have to say, that was the single most difficult thing I've ever done. I still get random cravings for a Coke once in awhile, but I'm just not going to go there.

A year later, I had dropped down to 209. I was still at 45% body fat, though, and figured I had better get some more specific goals if I wanted to ever get healthy. Since mid-January, I have been counting calories through MFP and changing my diet one step at a time. No artificial sugars except stevia, as they make my brain really fuzzy. I've cut out most grains -- my roommate has Celiac sprue, and does most of the cooking at home, so that was actually fairly simple for me. I do occasionally eat some of the pseudo-grains like quinoa and buckwheat, and we have corn/quinoa pasta for dinner on a very rare occasion. I have switched to almond milk (unsweetened) for drinking. My roommate and I will use it along with evaporated skim milk in "cream" based vegetable soups. Lean meats with the emphasis on reducing processed junk like hot dogs, lunch meats, etc. My sodium consumption is disgraceful.

I am still addicted to cheese. I have chosen to work on other things first before I tackle that behemoth, as I think it will take about as much willpower as killing my soda habit did. I am just not up for that battle yet.

Current Stats:

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 195.6

Body Fat: 43.5% -- calculated via measurements using a phone app put out by the US ARMY

I have an active job -- the opposite of a desk job -- but I want to do some actual "planned" exercise and training. My goals are to decrease my body fat percentage while increasing strength, endurance, and agility. I will most likely end up in the Ranger's camp after my first 6-week challenge.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Welcome. Nice work on the soda. I had to try three or four times before I kicked it. I think it's a bit like alcoholism for me. I'll never be cured, I'm always a recovering Mt. Dew-oholic.

I hope you find a fun and entertaining way to get to activity you want.

This is a good group of people to hang around.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter