Forums are back in action! ×

joining the rebellion from California

I came across Nerd Fitness sometime in January, and my Feedly is seriously neglected... so I can't say I've been the best follower. But I was definitely intrigued, and came back to join the community because I'm definitely in need of one. Embracing nerdiness while living primally? My kind of people.

I'm in my mid-twenties, 5' and extremely overweight... not sure where I am right now, I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks. I'm a "mild" nerd I guess you could say, because I resisted the pull my entire life, so I have a lot to make up for. Thankfully I married a big nerd, but he doesn't know how to access the router to unblock his access to FF when I want him to spend time with me on our minecraft server. 

We live in Fresno, aka now the most polluted place to live in the US. Not good if you're already genetically high risk for things like Parkinson's, which I am... which is part of how I turned to a primal way of living. The other part was the fact that I was an undiagnosed celiac, the "wheat belly" kind, and had gained 80lbs since HS... although some of it was definitely emotional eating. Because of the GI issues with Celiac Disease, I have been working from home since college and ended up digital scrapbook designing -- and it was a friend from that online community that "lovingly harassed" me until I gave paleo a try. I pretty much owe her my life, because I believed six years of testing and 'scopes to all be false positives -- like my doctors all said (except my GP, he thought I was but didn't feel right going against the top GI's in town.) Even when my textbook celiac brother was diagnosed, I was in denial. 

I finally took the plunge late June/early July of 2013. After over half a decade of CW things like Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig, I had had it. Two weeks in, we met up with my dad and brother (still in the Portland area) for a lacrosse tournament in Sonoma. I was so starving after a long day of driving and then wrangling teenaged boys and their barely post-pubescent coaches, that I immediately grabbed the bread at Outback Steakhouse and... The rest is history, we finally had the answer to ALL of my chronic health problems we've been puzzled by since I was barely 16. 

Hooray! OK, writing a novel here...

I kind of screwed up from September through Thanksgiving in 2013, not caring about tracking my carbs... eating a lot in candy form (stupid halloween) and Angry Orchard Iceman (it's really amazing, but pure sugar.) But I started The 21 Day Sugar Detox the Monday after Thanksgiving and have been back on track ever since.

Exercise, I love my kettlebell. I make sure to mix things up with it. Every other day is kettlebell, then running. I used to run cross country and miss it, so we've been going through c25k and then the 21k training plan. We're possibly moving before summer, so we're waiting on joining a crossfit gym for now. We get our "play" in with lots of hiking and stuff when we can, it just sucks that it's impossible to do anything outdoors during the summer here. 

My struggle is accountability. My husband isn't exactly a rock when it comes to this, he has a head full of sweet teeth and isn't sold on living primally... especially after the police academy drilled the food pyramid into him. All my friends who have somewhat switched to paleo either don't have the same struggles I do, or weight loss goals, or don't stick to it themselves. I'm hoping by participating here, I'll click with some people and form a little accountability tribe. I do best when I have people going through my same things, who hold me accountable as I hold them accountable. This isn't a diet for me, it's something I want to make my permanent lifestyle. I know it's the best for my brain and preventing Parkinson's, not to mention everything else.

I haven't had a chance to poke around the forums yet, but I'm sure I'm going to love it here... just a matter of having enough time to surf and absorb it all! Thanks if you made it this far in my novel ;)

• Like 3
Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress

Hey there, welcome ! Wanting to welcome another kettlebell enthusiast. This challenge I'm focusing more on bodyweight stuff, but I love kettlebell stuff too. There are quite a few assassins, KBgirl and Fonzico among them who also enjoy kettlebells.

You are a digital scrapbook designer? So do you design the page ideas for the scrapbook then? Fun job. My son is now in college and I am trying to scrapbook a  bunch of our pictures from earlier years. I love how it is online now-makes life so much easier. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Minecraft ftw! I enjoyed reading your intro. See you around :)

• Like 1

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Hey there, welcome ! Wanting to welcome another kettlebell enthusiast. This challenge I'm focusing more on bodyweight stuff, but I love kettlebell stuff too. There are quite a few assassins, KBgirl and Fonzico among them who also enjoy kettlebells.

You are a digital scrapbook designer? So do you design the page ideas for the scrapbook then? Fun job. My son is now in college and I am trying to scrapbook a  bunch of our pictures from earlier years. I love how it is online now-makes life so much easier. 

Even my puppy is obsessed with the kettlebell, she nuzzles and tries to share stuff with my 15lb one! My 25lb-er is supposed to arrive today, can't wait!!! I started with the printable workout from Women's Health Magazine, and mix it up with moves from Primally Inspired and workouts on youtube. I never get bored with it, like everything else I've tried!

With digital scrapbooking -- they have full kits all digitized. Most digiscrap designers just do digital stuff and sell in consignment stores online, and later move into paper scrapping products if they get picked up by one of those companies. I used to kit design, but it wasn't worth it for me and I didn't enjoy it -- but I enjoyed making templates and word art. Like the sketch templates for paper scrapping, the digital templates take it to an even easier level -- no need to cut anything! Just drag, drop, and "clip"! The Daily Digi has this page with links to template tutorials... the example pages on there are kind of dated and old fashioned as far as the style goes... digi products are much more advanced now!

It's sooo much cheaper than using paper products too, because paper products run out -- you can use a digital kit over and over and over again! I would start with Photoshop Elements instead of a program like My Memories & whatever it is that Michaels Stores has for their digital line, PSE is more versatile as you progress. Plus there's tons of tutorials online! The Daily Digi is a cheap way to stock up on product and get exposed to different designers and styles, it's $7.50/mo for over $50 of product each month, they also have tons of tutorials. 

Yeah, I get a bit wordy when there's a chance to convert someone to digiscrapping ;)

Meg -- Primal since late June 2013, never going back! 

26%
26%

weight loss progress