Forums are back in action! ×

Hi There Folks,

This winter I bought myself a nice pair of ice skates and started out on the ice after doing virtually nothing since my son was born.  On nights I wasn't skating I decided to hit the gym.  I would ride the bike, and stare at the weights, but had no idea what to do with them.  I asked a friend to come over and show me a workout to get started.  I nearly died.  4 days afterwards I was falling into chairs dreading getting up from them from the pain of doing squats for the first time at 320lbs.  

Since then I've been working out regularly and in doing more research have really enjoyed reading the articles on Nerd Fitness.  A lot of it makes sense and it has been very helpful in setting my goal.  I signed up for the newsletter and as challenge 3 start recording I threw a note book in my gym bag to keep track.

I'm not sure how the community here really works but now I look forward to getting home from the office, having dinner and hitting the gym.  Its been a lot of work, leaving my wife and son to have some me workout time but now I'm really seeing results.  Shocked myself with lumps on my arms while washing my hair.  I'm starting to see results and feel a real change in my goals, beyond the million times of realizing I should eat / be healtheir.

So hello, and look forward to continuing my journey with NF and joining the rebellion.

Welcome to the boards, Dalecon! It really is a shock the first time you notice your body morphing as a result of your lifestyle changes. :) Good to have ya!

• Like 1

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Hi Dalecon,

Welcome to NF! Congratulations on your new muscles. It's great to see progress like that.

I don't know what everyone else does, but I pretty much live in the challenge forums with some occasional expeditions out to the rest of the wild forum jungle. (like right here...)

I saw that you're living in Ottawa, too. Which gym do you go to? I've been going to the Y at the Canadian Tire Center, but I live on the west end so it's the most convenient for me.

• Like 1

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Hi QuirkuDM

I live on the East End, but since I'm just getting started I decided to try something new.  Instead of spending the coin on gym membership as I've done before, doing some body weight stuff and using the gym in my apartment building.  I'm good there until I hit 210 lbs on the weights that max out the stack.  I'm also looking at buying some dumbbells so I don't need to rely on the machine too much.

I'm waiting for this snow to go away.  I've assembled a list of names for those interested in playing pick up ball hockey (have a tennis court right behind my place).  So looking forward to combining the strength training with some ball hockey, also picked up some roller hockey skates for a new challenge.  I made sure to buy some pads and a helmet as I'm expecting some failure on the tennis court before I dare head out on the paths.

A gym in your building is nice. I wish I had taken advantage of that more when I was living in apartments. My neighbor across the street has his own home gym and it makes a lot of sense. For the price of a year membership, you can set yourself up with a lot of good equipment.

Today's forecast isn't helping for getting less snow. We actually broke out our snowshoes last weekend after not using them all season, so maybe this is a chance for us to get some good use out of them one more time. But I also want to start trail running in two weeks and I'm not sure the trails are going to cooperate with me unless the weather gets a lot warmer. :)

Quirky DM

haha yeah a couple colleagues are hitting the slopes so they are more than happy to have the snow falls.  I was fine with winter until the end of february and city of Ottawa stopped mainting the rink in the park near by.  I've never hit the Ottawa bike trails, but want to this summer, though seeing the snow covering them all its not looking like its going to be pleasant for a number of week yet.

If you like biking in the summer, then I hope someone told you about Sunday Bikedays- they close the more scenic roads in Ottawa and Gatineau on Sunday morning until noon exclusively for bikers/ roller bladers, etc.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-visit/parks-paths/things-to-do/alcatel-lucent-sunday-bikedays

It doesn't start until Victoria Day, but it's really nice when it's there.

• Like 1

Quirky DM