Forums are back in action! ×

Motivated Fitness Newb

Hello!

I'm Aaron, I'm Current 22, 171 Cm Tall and 240 ilbs. I am a complete fitness newbie and have never been a member of a gym / Truly worked out in my life

I've wanted to do something about my weight for at least 6 months but it's always been - I'll start Next week/tomorrow/soon.

I've recently had the proverbiale kick in the backside i needed to get up and do something - I'm a SCUBA diver and love the sport and want to teach and this has been my goal  for some time.

To Teach i need to pass a dive medical, which i have not yet undertaken, but i was at the dive chamber where they would be conducting the medical and i was asking some questions about it, i know i'm not the fittest so they did some basic checks and told me i was over the max allowable BMI and unless i was to score highly on the fitness portion of the medical - i would fail it.

I know what this means to me - I need to lose at least 25 / 30 pound and finally get myself fit like i've been saying i would do for a long time, Otherwise thiers no way im going to be able to pass the Medical.

This all in mind i have signed up to a local gym that is open EARLY so i can get some swimming in before work ( Virgin active - Derby , If anyone on here a member send me a PM would be good to talk to some like minded individuals!)

I have my induction after work on Tuesday and i'm a strange combination of excited, and feeling like i dont belong in a gym, I have no idea what i'm doing and what i'm letting myself in for, but i'm very motivated to lose the weight and get healthy.

Good news for me is my Diet isn't that bad but i know it needs improving, im already working on tightening up my diet

Sorry for rambling i'm very nervous and new to all this, and know i'm going to be asking some very silly questions in the coming months

Anyway, That is my story and hopefully the kick start to a new healthier me!

Aaron

• Like 1

Welcome!  We're excited to have a new member with a clear goal--and motivation--in mind.  Feel free to ask questions!  Many of us can answer questions from experience or help you find new resources to reach your goals.  

Now go out and get swimming, Aaron!  

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Thanks for the welcome!

It is very good motivation, i'm just trying to figure out the best way i can go about it in more detail than - more calories out than in and exercise, but i don't truly know enough to work out more than that without research - any advice would be really appreciated!

Aaron

Welcome to the rebellion!

(I'm really in the same new guy boat as you on this one, but I thought id try and add to the discussion)

the devil is in the details, which means now you have the fun job of balancing time spent working out, with time spent researching working out. I'm a firm believer in the idea that knowing why your doing something increases the likelihood that you will actually do it! Its not always easy to stick to routines, or dietary habits, but if you know the why, then you know how its helping you, and that's a bit more motivation to stick to it. Everything comes down to consistency. SO good luck, and see you around!

Lightning Bruiser (*)

Level 0 ranger in training

[sTR 0] [DEX 0] [sTA 0] [CON 0] [WIS 0] [CHA 0]

I'm Very much in the same mindset ( Must be a nerd thing!)

I'm looking forward to starting which must be the first time i've ever looked forward to working out in my life which is a weird feeling, I am worried about overdoing it when i start - How much is too much for someone who's never done anything before?