Forums are back in action! ×

Spotter Etiquette

I wouldn't mind it, honestly. I don't work out with a buddy, but most of the guys at my gym are friendly enough. I came pretty close to not getting my bench up last week and when I came out from under it, a guy gave me a nod as he was obviously half way over to coming to help out.

I'd probably feel different if someone jumps behind me when I'm doing my normal rep weight though, so I guess it depends on your specific situation.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Depends, I wouldn't particularly mind it. I mean if they started doing upright rows at any sign of a shake I'd get a bit annoyed by the interference, but otherwise they're being nice.

I've come to realise that without a signature, people tend to ignore the last line of whatever I say, this exists to rectify that

Definitely not. You have to either trust your spotter, or at least trust that they know what they are doing. Some random person coming up to me while I'm in the middle of a set is not welcome.

Yep. This.

It's one thing if someone finds you flailing around like a dying fish, or already pinned. Most people, though, even those dedicated to the spot from rep 1, really don't know how to spot. In my old gym, a real hardcore dungeon of a place, just jumping in to spot someone unexpectedly could actually be really dangerous for the lifter. They'd probably boot you out after something like that.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Thanks so much for this. I just wanted to check in and get feedback from others before addressing the person.

In this context I was on the squat rack. I've reached work sets of 210lbs (3x5), and though red-faced and sweating, my form is still fine and the bar doesn't stall or hesitate though it comes up a bit slow. I'm working hard, but not struggling. So I've got my headphones on, working and focusing hard, and during rep four I see him right behind me. Actually it startled me and I racked the bar. He thought I was exhausted and had to rack it. He then came back at the start of every set to spot. I didn't ask for that. I should have said something but didn't want to overreact, and really was just generally thrown off and didn't know what to say.

So...I wanted to be thoughtful in my response to him. Additionally, he's a trainer at that gym and seems to be one of the only ones who does powerlifting so I think he could be helpful, and he probably meant to be helpful (or as another friend suggested, he meant to further market himself as a trainer). Assumptions of his intention aside, it's important to me to have good relations with others at the gym, and since the gym is a new 'culture' for me I want to learn to play well with others.

I so appreciate all the feedback. Thank you thank you thank you.

Btw, by next week I'll be at 215. RRRARRRRR!!!

Yep. This.

It's one thing if someone finds you flailing around like a dying fish, or already pinned. Most people, though, even those dedicated to the spot from rep 1, really don't know how to spot. In my old gym, a real hardcore dungeon of a place, just jumping in to spot someone unexpectedly could actually be really dangerous for the lifter. They'd probably boot you out after something like that.

yup. if I don't ask, and I'm not stuck and in dire need of help, leave me alone.

or im at crossfit, at the end of a heavy set the coach will often just come over and spot. but that's fine by me. there its ok. but we dont have cages and pins and all of that.

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Tell him you like working hard and you're not dying, and he should leave you alone. Plus respect for the hardcore chick. :)

If he doesn't, he's probably That Guy (ick) and tell the boss!

A proper spot's inside my personal space, and I'd be pretty put out if anyone suddenly appeared there. Training solo, that's what the safeties are for, after all.