Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone, I'm still figuring out how to navigate the community.  I just posted this in the Help/Get started threads and then found my way here, so maybe I should have started here first.  Here goes again because I'm looking for all the help I can get!

Cliff notes version: 41 y/o woman, 5"9" 172lbs

Lost 175lbs through gastric bypass surgery, feeling great about the weight being gone but I want to be strong and healthy as well

Very inspired by Staci, I've been working on getting on track with a paleo diet and cutting out the bad stuff.  Not all the way there yet but I've made great improvements. 

I've been doing bodyweight exercises but don't know if I'm pushing hard enough.  While I'm exercising I feel like I'm pushing it, but then I'm not sore at all the next day.  Shouldn't I be at least a little?  I'm afraid that because I'm not it means that I'm not breaking muscle down enough to build it back up stronger. 

Ideas?  Tips?  Thanks to all! :)

• Like 1

Hiya AtomicFrig,

I also had gastric bypass surgery in 2012.  You have similar goals as me.  I'm confused about how many calories I should be eating now.  Obviously,as you know, we can't eat in large portions.  And I was always told by my surgeon to eat 800-900... But if I'm exercising now... HOW MANY SHOULD WE EAT?!?!@  MY surgeon hasn't gotten back to me on that one.

Good luck!! Keep in touch!! Us RNYers are few and far between but we know each other's struggles.

• Like 1

“Letting it get to you. You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now is all that counts.†-The Doctor

Website ||  Facebook || Twitter ||  MFP  || Pinterest  || Current Challenge ||  My Written Goals

:love_heart:    :love_heart:

I've been doing bodyweight exercises but don't know if I'm pushing hard enough.  While I'm exercising I feel like I'm pushing it, but then I'm not sore at all the next day.  Shouldn't I be at least a little?  I'm afraid that because I'm not it means that I'm not breaking muscle down enough to build it back up stronger. 

Ideas?  Tips?  Thanks to all! :)

I would worry less about the soreness. It's not necessarily an indicator of a good workout.

Instead, track your progress. Did you do more this time than you did last time? (More can mean more sets, more reps, done faster, less rest, better form, among other things) That's more important than whether you're sore or not.

• Like 1

Thanks Sylph!  That makes me feel a little better, I actually am making some progress, when I first started I couldn't get through a whole rotation of the beginner body weight program.  When I worked out yesterday I got all the way through.  Only once, but it's more than I had done before.  So, progress!

Dear mom, :)

I really think 800-900 calories is your "lose weight" range.  If you've reached at or near your goal weight I would think that you'd need more calories to maintain and keep your energy up for exercise.  My surgeon didn't tell me any calorie range to stay within, just a weight range.  But the calorie counting and weighing every day was making me nuts so I stopped doing both.  I took a picture of myself and I'm going to take another one in a month and see what changes clean eating and exercise bring.  Good luck to both of us, RNYs unite!