Forums are back in action! ×

Windows 8 - technical help please and thanks?

Ok, so, my parents, who are technophobes and therefore cannot figure this stuff out on their own, just got a new computer with Windows 8. I'm a Mac gal, and so know nothing about the new Windows (haven't used Windows since XP). I'm trying to get the Microsoft Solitaire Collection app on the computer for my dad, who loves that shit, and cannot for the life of me figure out how. I figured a forum full of nerds was a good place to ask for some help.

I click on the games app on the start screen (no idea if those are the proper terms, it's a big green box with what looks like an xbox controller shape in it), and then select the box that says Microsoft Solitaire. I click play, and it tells me I need to download the app, but I can't figure out how to download the app. There's no option to 'download' or 'buy' (even though it seems to be free), nor can I find that if I go to the xbox/microsoft website. I'm stumped. Even googling 'how to install microsoft solitarie collection windows 8' got me nothing. My only thought is that maybe I need to link an xbox console to the computer and download it through there, which I don't know how to do, but I do have a 360 that I could link to my parents' computer if that's what I need to do.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Dare mighty things

Does this get you anything, for me it looks like where there should be a download button, there's a "get windows 8.1 to run this app"

Maybe go there on the computer you're trying to play it on, and see if there's a download link there...

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/microsoft-solitaire-collection/1a36fd17-5161-4651-ae2d-13384e427ea8

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Tha got it, eventually. I'm not really sure how I made it go, but it went, this time it gave me an option to get it from the app store. I had to update a few things, maybe that was the original problem. *shrug* The important thing is, my dad can get his solitaire fix now.

Thanks much!

Dare mighty things

Tha got it, eventually. I'm not really sure how I made it go, but it went, this time it gave me an option to get it from the app store. I had to update a few things, maybe that was the original problem. *shrug* The important thing is, my dad can get his solitaire fix now.

Thanks much!

YAY!

Ya... computers are weird like that. You can do the same thing twuce, and get 2 different results...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

It's the little things that dad's appreciate.

It's funny, the first thing he did was compare it to the XP version he's used to on the old computer, and pointed out all the ways the old one is better. But that's my dad, I think he secretly appreciates it, or will once the VERY slow Windows 8 adaptation process finishes....

Dare mighty things