Forums are back in action! ×

Jane came. Jane saw. Jane conquered.

Hey :redface-new:

I’m a 27-year-old gal all the way from exotic Western Canada who is somewhat new to health and fitness.  I was always thin, so it never occurred to me that I needed to “get in shape†until I quit smoking, about two and a half years ago.

For the first year all I did was mindless cardio, which wasn’t that much fun.  It was hard to make it a habit for longer than a few weeks at a time, and it didn’t even my butt look any better. Fail.

Then, last year, I went through an “all natural†kick for about six months or so where I ate strictly Paleo (that's how I discovered NF!), but it wasn't quite right for me.  Although I was a million times healthier than I had been in the past, I was still just a skinny girl who was unsatisfied with her cardio-centric training routine.

That’s when I discovered strength training.  I was freaking terrified of it at first.  I bought Starting Strength and read it over and over again trying to work up the guts to go to the gym and actually do it. 

Then one day I found myself with the courage I needed to get under a barbell. The next two days were the sorest of my life… but then I went back to the gym and did it again.  And again.  And again.

The rest is history.  I stand before you a newly minted barbell addict.  I’m really enjoying my newfound love picking up heavy things, eating ALL THE FOOD, and dealing with all other factors that go along with it (nutrition, mobility... and so on).  There’s so much to learn – enough to quench my curiosity for years to come.  

So that’s why I’m here!  To share my interest and learn from some supportive and knowledgeable folks who are fellow nerds.

Speaking of the nerd factor...I should probably address that.  I’m a huge numbers/data geek with a World of Warcraft tattoo.  (I was 21.  You know how it is.)  There you have it.

I look forward to meeting you in the forums!  

Cheers
:pirate: Janesaw  

• Like 2

Well done on finding the courage to take that first step under the barbell! I'm currently at the point where I really want to go to the gym and try barbells but feel so nervous. You've inspired me to go for it though! Any tips on how you braved it that first time?

(I love numbers and data too. No one at my work understands why!)

Level 0 Wood Elf Adventurer

High five for fellow dataphiles!  woooot.  Funny, I'm also a Wood Elf… double high fives!

When starting out, confidence is key.  For me, confidence came from three sources:

1) Familiarize yourself with the lifts… extensively.  I highly recommend you study Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, both the book and the DVD, if you haven't already.   !!!!!!!

2) Strength in numbers!  My secret sauce for owning it the first time was bringing a supportive friend so I didn't feel so alone in a great big sea of iron.  I was able to focus on him, rather than any of the strangers in the weight room, which eased my nerves a lot.  

3) Finally, start slow if you need to.  Can't press the 45lb barbell? Use a training bar!  Also, make sure you have good form before you start adding weight.  Get someone to film you with your smartphone and then watch it immediately (feedback is more effective when you get it right away).  The DVD will be invaluable to you here because in it, Coach Rip shows people how to fix their mistakes (ones that you're probably making, too).

Just pick a day and commit to going.  Don't let your brain talk you out of it!  You won't regret it.

• Like 1

Greetings from the othe side of the Prairies!  Awesome to hear you've been romanced by the barbell's chalky allure, it's a great friend! 

Now, on to the serious bit... Is your WoW tattoo Horde, or Alliance? 

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]