Forums are back in action! ×

Lady with needle agreed to take my blood

Happened a few weeks ago, thought I do a little belated sharing.

Every time I've tried to donate blood before I've not been allowed because I was too ill (usually anaemia), despite many diet related fails lately I have managed to eat more meat and am at least healthy enough to give blood for the first time ever! YAY!

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

I donate as well... plus I give platelets. I got some type of 'special blood' where I didn't get a virus as a kid so they can give my blood to people with immune issues. Needless to say, I am a very regular donor.

I also noticed I always failed the tests prior to cleaning up my diet. I was anemic (sp) when I was a kid and my iron levels were never right. Diet fixed that. Yay for people who need my blood!

BTW - Double Red, totally the way to go!

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

I'm waiting until the Red Cross accepts blood donations from gay men before donating. I write them a letter every year explaining that I'd love to be a donor, but I have trouble supporting their (well, the FDA's) discriminatory policies. Hopefully with enough letters, these policies may one day change.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I'm waiting until the Red Cross accepts blood donations from gay men before donating. I write them a letter every year explaining that I'd love to be a donor, but I have trouble supporting their (well, the FDA's) discriminatory policies. Hopefully with enough letters, these policies may one day change.

As one of those guys who isn't allowed to give blood (I was permanently deferred because I didn't know, and thus didn't lie), I understand where this comes from. However, this policy has nothing to do with the Red Cross. It's actually a policy enacted by the FDA, and recently upheld (this past April, I believe) for another few years. In my mind, you not giving blood will do nothing but hurt the Red Cross. If you wish to help make a change (which would be awesome), contact you local senator/representatives and get them on the fight. Not many people know of this policy.

As to those that might say about the possible infections from the blood, the Red Cross and other blood organizations are legally required to do both a Western Blot Test (tests for the antibodies present during infections of HIV, syphillis, ect.) and an ELISA test (which tests for the viruses/bacteria directly). Thus, the risk of a transferrence of one person to another via this method these days is less than .01%.

So, I'd like to thank you for your help in the matter, but also encourage you to give blood to this who need it! :)

Edit: You did recognize the FDA's policy, rather than the Red Cross', and I missed that. However, the Red Cross did help to lobby against the policy this most recent vote, and claimed it was 'unwarranted'.

The only answer to "You can't do that" is "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED."

Fitocracy|Twitter|Food Blog

I've donated blood a several times - but about 30% of the time I go in, I'm unable to because of low iron levels. Last week there was a clinic here and I went in to donate, and just -barely- passed the iron test... I think I was at 128 and the requirement was 125. Unfortunately, they were unable to find the vein in my arm this time and I was again not allowed to donate.

Hopefully with some improvements to my diet like you Lowenna, I'll be at a healthier iron level next time!

Regarding the gay men issue, I agree it's pretty ridiculous for them not to allow it! That's the policy here as well. For a while I didn't really think about it (they ask a lot of weird questions), but yeah, not cool. However, I'm not going to let it stop me from donating: I donate to the patients, not the organization!

Mmm... kaik.

Twitter - flickr

As much as I agree with you guys that the law about blood donation is crazy and discriminatory, I don't think boycotting is the best way to deal with it. I'm sure whoever gets my blood will be glad to have it.

Level 0 Pixie

"The cure for anything is salt water - tears, sweat or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

I've donated blood a several times - but about 30% of the time I go in, I'm unable to because of low iron levels. Last week there was a clinic here and I went in to donate, and just -barely- passed the iron test... I think I was at 128 and the requirement was 125. Unfortunately, they were unable to find the vein in my arm this time and I was again not allowed to donate.

Hopefully with some improvements to my diet like you Lowenna, I'll be at a healthier iron level next time!

Drink water so you aren't dehydrated, and make sure you take a one-a-day multi-vit with iron in it. Girls have the trouble more often because of their periods. I know I couldn't donate for about half of a year due to low hemoglobin levels. Trust me, it will make a huge difference. I take the GNC ultra mega women's supplement. Worked wonders.