Forums are back in action! ×

Training/running shoes?

NB Minimus crosstrainers for light running and basic lifting and conditioning.

Rogue Do-Win weightlifting shoes for dedicated squat or deadlift or oly-based lifting.

Still have a pair of beat up Chucks that I'll occasionally pull out for all of the above.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I love my New Balance shoes for running. I have an all-terrain pair which work whether I'm running on pavement, on trail or on the beach. I have a pair of Nikes for crosstraining, but I don't like them all that much and I'll probably try a different brand when they're due to be replaced.

Human Ranger (Lvl 2)
Be the author of your own adventure.
Fitocracy -- Challenge 1: AR's Return

i want to get into vibrams but i wanna try em on first and i've not found anywhere that sells them in shop yet, now however (well before i injured my hip deadlifting) i use the nike free run 2's they've got a thinned and less sloped sole than previous ones so i use them for running and my older ones for general day to day wear (which confuses my dad because i only got em a year ago) but they're still ok for running and make me that little bit faster

I run in New Balance 101s. They're thin and super light, but they have the hard "Rockstop" soles so I can still run trails without worrying about injuries from rocks or sharp things. Perfect compromise for a minimalist shoe that still offers a little protection. They're low cut around the ankle, but lace up securely so they won't pull off in mud. The upper is super thin mesh so they breathe well. They may not be so great on trails when the weather gets cooler, but they're awesome for summer. Consequently they're also the least smelly shoes I've ever owned, even after wearing them to work for several 8 hour shifts on my feet. Also, they're inexpensive--I got mine on sale for $30. Retail is only around $50.

Highly recommended.

ETA: They're also ideal for weight training or cross training since the sole is thin and doesn't compress. There's a very slight heel (less than 1cm), so they're not completely flat.

Do you have any set training goals? How do you want your footwear to play a part in that? If you can check out (as mentioned above) a specialty running store it would be worth your time to go through a gait analysis at the minimum. Look at price points...a $100 pair of Brooks in my opinion are much better than a similarly priced set of Nikes.

Random Workouts...Random Results

CultFit

@CultFit - I do a lot of different things at the gym (running, weight training, boxing) so I need a pretty versatile shoe. I was thinking about Vibrams or something similar (like NB minimus) but I feel like there are so many options.

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." - Ayn Rand

welcome to real life | bitch be cool