Forums are back in action! ×

I am that young american you hear about

As the title of my post states pretty explicitly, I am the young american that you hear about. I am 30 years old, overweight and have type 2 diabetes because of the choices that led me to this point. 

I heard the war drums of the rebellion beating, though, and I took a hard look at myself in the mirror and some things started to change. I started going to the gym (currently doing Starting Strength LP), starting making smarter choices with my diet (Can't out train a shitty diet, right?) and trying to sleep more (That's funny though.. I'm a nurse, a husband and a father to a 4 year old). 

I came here because I just need more support and fellow rebels to discuss battle plans with. My goals are to lose weight (currently 208, would love to be sitting around 185-190 with a much different body composition) and to bring my blood chemistries back into the normal range so I can watch my son and future issue grow up and join the rebellion. However, even with the changes i've made I get discouraged because my goals are still looking pretty far away. 

Oh, just to verify my nerdery here is a quick run down: Star Wars fan since forever, love sci fi of all types, AD&D hold out (4e may as well be WoW&D), video game enthusiast, and it is a very rare day if I am not wearing at least one piece of comic book gear (my wife says that my tee shirt collection might be an addiction). 

In short, I would love to touch base with anyone who has run into any of these types of problems and conquered them. Also, I look forward to chatting with everyone here because it takes a village, right?

May the force be with you

Craig A, Murse of the Year

Nerd

Beard Enthusiast

Rebel

post-28256-0-97689800-1396448177_thumb.j

• Like 4

Craig A

Murse of The Year

Beard Enthusiast

Nerd

Rebel

Hi!

I'm partially in your boat, 34, 220, except I'm female...and not a nurse.

HOWEVER..

I do have some lovely unsolicited advice for you! 

1.) Take pictures of that adorable kid of yours and put them everywhere.  If you are anything like me he is your inspiration

2.) I've only begun thinking of weight loss, for the past few months I've been focusing on strength and agility, and that stuff happens MUCH quicker than weight loss!  I focused on going to the gym & signed up for a 5K and within 2 weeks time I could already tell that I was getting stonger!  It's great motivation!

3.) I hate keeping complicated logs, so I just bought myself a Monthy datebook and put X's over every day I work out.  Looks good to see all those X's!  I'm joining my first 6 week challenge (you should join too!) and I'm going to use that to tackle my diet as I already have the gym going down.  So I bought one of those clicky pens with the four colours so I will be Xing off good diet days in a different colour!

I wish you the best of luck dude.  I'm an old fashioned nerd myself (science nerd) but I'm pretty sure we will get along as we have the same motivation.

Crazyjerseygirl, Level 1 Beast Adventurer
STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 1

Beard Enthusiast

We got another one... Woooo...

Welcome, I can't offer any solicited, or unsolicited advice since I can't say I've ever been there, but you did come to the right place. That much I can say... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Hey guys, thanks for the love! 

JerseyGirl, you can totally be a beard enthusiast. My wife prefers me with a beard (I think it's because of the three years she spent in the army.. i just looked different than everyone else she was surrounded by!)

Insanity, thanks bro. Encouragement is good stuff!

Craig A

Murse of The Year

Beard Enthusiast

Nerd

Rebel

Can a chick be a beard enthusiast?  My husband has an awesome beard but lord help me I can't seem to grow one of my own.

Enthusiast is different from a grower.... :-) So yes... yes you can.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Welcome aboard!

I am gonna vouch for you as an intelligent and educated man simply for the statement about DnD4! I myself played DnD3 for many years and also found version 4 to be... is there any way to say this nicely? no, okay... horrible...

Also as a fellow "aint gut much to loose just want to turn it in tomething better"-guy. Lets sculpt our asses off this year and every year!

• Like 1

Lincarte - Level 3 - Dwarf Warrior 

Str: 7 | Dex: 1 | Sta: 3 | Con: 6 | Wis: 3 | Cha: 5

Squat - 120(~265 lb.) | Bench - 95(~209lb.) | Deadlift - 190(~419 lb.) | Total: 405(~893 lb.)

PvP:The 800 club - Daily Battle Log - #3, #2, #1

Can a chick be a beard enthusiast?  My husband has an awesome beard but lord help me I can't seem to grow one of my own.

Pop out a kid or two and the hormonal lottery might reward you with a chin that Gimli would be proud of :(

Ahem... WELCOME, OP! Gratz on the first steps! Thought about a 6 week challenge from the 14th? :)

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora