Forums are back in action! ×

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself as I am joining you all on this path of becoming healthier bit by bit. 

I am a 34 year old father of 3 who discovered about 6 months ago that small changes can have big impacts on your life.

I noticed this website seems to fall along the same lines of thinking so hopefully by signing up it will push me harder to achieve my goals of looking better and feeling healthier.

Last year around September I decided to get up from my desk job at lunch and actually step outside for a bit of a walk.

There is a path along the water across from our office . After I finished I realized the fresh air and exercise probably did me some good and decided to try it again the next day , and then again going further day by day.

I then started to challenge myself on how far I could run , I would of course start off small and get a little further each day . 

By Christmas I was looking and feeling better , I even quit smoking !

In the new year I ended up needing to get my galbladder out . It turns out they had to open me right up to get it which drove up my recovery time.

Once I got the go ahead from my doctor to start exercising again, I found this article while surfing online.

Steve has inspired me to start strength training by writing this article.  He explained that if I picked one exercise from each of the categories he mentioned I would get a full body workout !

I favorited the article and quickly built a routine based on Steve's suggestions. I had never knew where to start and had always been embarrassed to go to a gym and ask a trainer.

So this week starting on Monday It has begun. It is perfect for me because I can do the exercises at home in the evenings while the kids are home with me and while my wife is working. ( opposite working shifts so I can never get to a gym).

I run for 15 minutes on a treadmill and then I do the exercises from the article. I will do this three times a week and try to update everyone on my progress. 

I know this is not a huge workout by any means but I am jut beginning with strength training and I am going by the small changes philosophy , and after reading some other articles on this website (which is great by the way !), it seems like a good approach.

I am unsure if I will do Paleo , I may start but I don't want to take it all on at once , I would like to just track how much I am eating for a bit and what foods I am eating.  When I form the habit of including strength training into my workout,  I will re-evaluate to see how I am doing against my goals.

Thank you for you time, I look forward to sharing my future experiences with you all , being a part of this community and to all of us getting healthier together !

• Like 3

Well done on the changes you've made. You're absolutely right, just small changes, one at a time soon add up. I think you should apply the same logic to your diet too.

It's a massive change to switch to paleo overnight, but you can slowly introduce changes that will make your diet better. Maybe just switching you lunchtime sandwich for something without wheat, or ditching the fizzy drinks. Small steps.

You may even find that you don't feel the need to go completely paleo, remember it's about what's sustainable for you in the long term.

Good luck with the goals and hope to see you about.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Well done on the changes you've made. You're absolutely right, just small changes, one at a time soon add up. I think you should apply the same logic to your diet too.

It's a massive change to switch to paleo overnight, but you can slowly introduce changes that will make your diet better. Maybe just switching you lunchtime sandwich for something without wheat, or ditching the fizzy drinks. Small steps.

You may even find that you don't feel the need to go completely paleo, remember it's about what's sustainable for you in the long term.

Good luck with the goals and hope to see you about.

Thanks Guzzi !