Forums are back in action! ×

So I have a renewed interest in becoming fit and reaching fitness goals that I lost for a while due to a mix of depression and other factors.  But now I want to get back in it.  

I'm not obese (thankfully, judging by how I eat), but I want to lose body fat and gain muscle.  Don't need to be a body builder, but not being a stick man would be nice.  I've been the same weight/body shape since freshman year of high school.  The difference being that I didn't have much body fat because of track and football.  

Regardless, I saw this forum and you guys seem like a fun bunch of people and not just huge meat heads talking about their "huge gains".  So I thought I'd say hello and that I look forward to being part of the community and taking part in the challenges.

But first some questions:

I'm thinking about the Paleo diet.  I have friends who are on it that are looking AMAZING and are willing to help me with it until I get my bearings.  Is anyone here currently Paleo; and if so, what improvements have you seen?

And as far as setting up a workout routine, I'm thinking about following this guys idea:

http://www.nerdfitne...e-and-strength/

• Monday - Squats, Benchpress, Wide Grip Pull Ups, Planks
  • Wednesday - Deadlift, Overhead Press, Inverted Rows, Hanging Knee Raises
  • Friday - Weighted Lunges, Weighted Dips, Weighted Chin Ups, Reverse Crunches.

And I guess just kind of go my own way from there, but I'm looking for recommendations.

But again, looking forward to being part of the forum and can't wait to meet you all!

-Maverick

Welcome to NerdFitness, Maverick!  We're glad you are here!

As I'm not a warrior/ranger/weight lifter, I can't give you any advice toward the strength training workout (but it looks great!  Thumbs up from this newb).  We have a lot of folks on the forums who eat paleo, especially in the warrior and ranger guilds.  You'll have to ask them, though.  I can't dig up any resources on people who made gains just from eating paleo--the stuff I'm finding is usually a combo of paleo and strength training, which has awesome results (see the amazing articles on Staci and Joe)!  Again, there are lots of people here who know more than I do and can answer your questions concretely.

Good luck to you, my friend!  I hope to see you around :)

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Hi there! I have been eating on the Paleo principle the last three months or so. I can not say that I gained in shape or form because I started eating Paleo, mainly because I work out quite extensively besides controlling what I eat. I started with Paleo because I knew I ate way too little vegetables, and found the principle to be logical and easy to apply.

The clincher for me was a few months after I started though. In a weak moment I grabbed some sausage rolls in the shop (sausage covered in soft white fluffy bread), incredibly NOT Paleo and incredibly processed and prefabricated food, full of gluten. I enjoyed my treat, but the day after I was feeling really bloated, my skin was irritated and I did not feel good at all. That's when I knew had made the right choice starting with Paleo. I soon forgot about the sausage rolls and never looked back again :)

I would try Paleo if I were you. Besides obvious improvement in what I eat it also made me feel a lot better in retrospect. Give it 30 days ans see what happens!

SUCCESS IS A CHOICE