Forums are back in action! ×

Article food for thought: Is Fighting Good For You?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fighting-healthy/

I quite liked this article. What do you guys think? Is fighting good for you? Why? Have you thought about/tried/are currently studying any style of combat? Do you plan to at some point in the future?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I did muay thai and jujitsu for a bit while I was in college. Was in an MMA class for several months after graduating, 3 days a week of intense 2 hour training sessions. Having a full time job and a band and other priorities in life put a stop to that...I might take it up again one day. It was nice, the only thing is if you go to work and go to training after that...well, that'll be literally it for your whole day. You'll pass out shortly after coming home, only having had enough time to make your dinner and pack food for the next day.

Definitely would recommend it to anyone with free time, and DEFINITELY think kids can benefit a lot from learning martial arts.

I did western martial arts stuff in the past, and it is absolutely fabulous. I love a good fight, and you feel like a whole new person after a good one even if you loose. After a day of 50 second to 10 minute bouts, I would be wrung out, full-body tired, and mentally kaput, but I felt great about it. I also enjoy a good old fashioned roughousing session. Fighting is awesome.

I previously studied Taekwondo for a long time, you could classify it as a soft martial art. I enjoyed it, and it most definitely souped up my core strength and flexibility. In terms of the bouts, its more of a sport than a fighting art in most schools so you don't usually get that unbridled aggression that you would in a traditional boxing or MMA gym. The fun stuff like breaking boards/tiles and trying for high kick pads is gives you a bit of an adrenaline kick.

More recently, Muay Thai on the other hand is a hard martial art and is all about explosive power. The training is HIIT and definately

If i had the time and disposable income i would more than likely pick it up again, and get my kids involved too. There is a sense of empowerment and self assurance that comes from that kind of knowledge and training + the obvious benefit of having an active lifestyle.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger