Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie needs help.

Hi,

(I'm not 100% this goes here, but this is the general thread so I guess it's safe?)

There's a gym right by my school so I figure I could go there after school every day or every other day and work out. I'm very willing to learn, but I need to be pointed in the right direction because I realize there's probably a lot of misinformation on the internet about working out and nutrition(well, anything really), and if I'm going to get really into this, I want to be doing it not only in a healthy, non-damaging way, but also in the most efficient way possible.

Currently, I'm not eating SUPER healthy, but I eat healthy enough. I don't drink soda, I don't go out to eat very often, I generally eat enough fruits and vegetables etc. Also, I'm not currently doing any muscle building regularly, but I average about half an hour to an hour of cardio everyday(I ride my bike everywhere I can which makes up the majority of it). I'm 5"7' and about 145lbs. I'm have some muscle, but not that much.

My goal is to get well built, healthy and also learn more about nutrition and health. Also, I really like to cook so if anybody knows of any good websites that focus on cooking healthy.

Essentially, what I'm looking for is guidance, information and possibly some help developing a workout plan and nutrition guide. The aforementioned gym isn't very large, but it has all of the essentials.

Thanks,

Michael

First off, welcome!

Many gyms offer a free 1-time session with a personal trainer. That might help you out with learning the ropes and getting into a routine.

Another way is a very popular and great book called Starting Strength. Lots of great info for the beginner.

Lastly, as far as diet... It really depends on what you want. Since you're at nerd fitness, I'll suggest The Paleo Diet, which is what Steve Kamb (writer of NF) supports and what many members here follow. For that, I highly suggest the book The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.

Anyway, we're here to help you. Let us know if you have more questions. :)

Welcome to the Rebellion!