Forums are back in action! ×

New to the Community

Hello,

I've kept up with NF for the past few months - since probably June or so, however I have not come to join the community until now. I decided to come because I was looking for a support group in my own bettering of myself and thought I could lend a hand to other beginners and maybe a bit of knowledge as well. 

With that, I'll introduce myself and keep will probably keep it pretty short since I'm between classes currently. 

About Me: 
I'm Russell, and I go by this chosen online identity - lightNRG. I use this name for gaming and other online activities. I'm currently a second year biochemistry student as well, which outside of hopefully having a career in, fascinates me to no end.

I was inspired to begin working out and becoming healthier last summer - the summer after I graduated high school. I was relatively unhealthy, specifically overweight at this time. As most young adults do, I picked up a job working at a summer camp put on by the YMCA. I thought it would be fun and quickly learned that I also got a membership to the YMCA to use the facilities they offered. And so I did that - relatively unsure of myself at first. Not really venturing into the weight room, mostly running on a treadmill or elliptical, which got me almost nowhere. A few weeks in, a co-worker of mine saw me while working out and invited me into the weight room. He gave me some tips to further myself and actually apply myself to weight training. This was a good start and got me going - however the dreadful freshman year of college hit and I undid much (but not all thankfully) of my hard work over the summer.

The following summer, I was asked to return to the YMCA, and I did. And I began working out again and harder. This time I walked in there with some level of knowledge and was able to apply myself to see better results. I went from roughly 265lbs all the way down to 235 lbs over the course of a single summer. I was impressed and because of this I made a new goal - I wouldnt' give up my healthier lifestyle when I went back to college.

Thusfar, I have not. Rather I have been waking up early to work out, controlling what I eat much better and in general getting out and having fun. This year, I have dropped from roughly 235 lbs, down to a minimum of about 215 lbs, and my hopeful goal is to reach 210 by the end of this academic year. However those are just short term goals, I want to see myself growing as an individual - changing some of my worse habits for good to give myself a better quality of life. Additionally, in joining the Rebellion, I hope to be here to help others with my moderate amount of experience so far and to learn from others.

• Like 2

YEA!!  Welcome to the Rebellion and congrats on sticking to your healthy lifestyle in college. 

You are just in time for the start of the 6-week challenge that starts Monday.  Guidelines can be accessed from the "Challenge Instructions" near the top of the page.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel to get used to the place and then pick a guild that matches your goals best. 

NOTE - you don't have to do the challenges!  Jump in to the forums that appeal to you and get to know folks, if you like.  But I think the challenges are helpful and you get to know people more in the guilds. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)